Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ahearnb

On-Board sound & BIOS flashing instructions

Hi,

Sorry to make all these posts and questions, but I'm putting a new system together and you guys are a good source for info.

I have on-board sound with my motherboard. But I have and want to use my Soundblaster Live! 5.1 X-Gamer. Do I need to disable this on-board sound? Or will it conflict in any way?

Also, I have an MSI MS-6360 motherboard that I want to have the latest BIOS for. On their site, they give very easy instructions for how to do it -

---------------------------------------------------

Prepare a clean bootable floppy disk. There should be no file inside except for the Command.Com.

For Win9X, You can type [C:\ format a:/s] from the DOS prompt.

For WinMe, You can make a boot floppy from control panel--> add/remove program-->make boot floppy. Remove autoexec.bat & config.sys file if there's any.

For Win2000, there's no way to make boot floppy, so you have to either use Win9X or WinME boot floppy.

Go to the MSI website. BIOS or More BIOS (for old BIOSes).

Look for the motherboard model your looking for. Double click to download the file.

Extract the download file into the clean Bootable floppy disk. (There should be 5 to 6 files inside the floppy disk: Command.com, AMIF826A.EXE(BIOS flash utility), readme.txt(notes about BIOS programming), autoexec.bat(optional files), BIOS version.txt(BIOS modification note), and the BIOS file.

Insert the floppy disk into the floppy drive. Then, restart the system. The system will boot from the floppy disk.

Type A:\amif826a BIOS file /a to start the BIOS flash program.

/a automatic BIOS flashing

Note: If you have the autoexec.bat file, the system will automatically flash the BIOS from the DOS prompt.

BIOS flashing.

The system will restart after the BIOS flashing.

---------------------------------------------------

My problem - when I go to my "Add/Remove Programs" screen in ME, it gives me the option to create a "Startup Disk". When I do this, I have to put my WinME CD in and it copies files. It says at the beginning of the instructions, "There should be no file inside except for the Command.Com." And it also says this later....well, I've got about 25 files on the disk after I create one!

Should I do this another way??

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

Brad

1) Best to disable the on-board sound

2) The only files you need on a boot floppy are:

io.sys (hidden)

msdos.sys (hidden)

command.com

delete all the others files from that floppy and copy on the files from your motherboard manufacturer.

Cool. I know how to do 2).

But how would I go about disabling on-board sound?

Thanks!

Brad

Probably it's an option in your BIOS settings, otherwise it might be a jumper on the motherboard or it may simply not be possible to disable it. You can always disable the device in windows device manager if you can't do it any other way.

Just be carefull. Some bios's have multible options for onboard sound.

I have seen "enable onboard audio","enable onboard game port",and

"enable audio 97 codec" all on the same motherboard,be sure to disable them all.