Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg S Trouw

Filter keys could go back to school methinks

OK, sometimes Microsoft software has a tendency to get a little "too smart for it's own good". AKA if MS Word goes to auto-correct the spelling of someone's last name; producing some documentation (this happened to me once), putting some pseudo code into the document, and it gripes about C++ not being English, etc...... Plug and Pray has also sometimes gotten a reputation for that.

But now with this, there is one case. Unless Microsoft has changed the Explorer shortcut since previous versions, there is a short cut to disable autorun on a CD that is being inserted in the computer. It is to to hold down the shift key while inserting the CD. The thing is, it takes the CD drive a little time to recognize the disk, and if you let up on the shift key too soon, it might still auto-play (in the past, it has).

But......with these new filter keys, it interupts this, thinking one is accidently holding down on the keyboard or something......but in reality one is using this shortcut while inserting a CD to tell it "Do not use autorun on this disk". To send this "feature" back to school, and inform it when one is using this shortcut to circumvent another auto-..... feature one doesn't want to use then?

Actually..

Its called a "sticky key" and you can turn this off.

A sticky key only occurs when you hit the button numerous times. M$ then asks you wheter to turn of or leave on.

I held my shift key for 1 min, and it didnt do what you have said. Tap it 5-6 times and it will start sticky keys.

What it does is basiclly (in the case of shift) turns all alpha charachters to capz, or if caps lock is on, to lower case.

This can be turned off quite easily.

And you can turn off auto run.

It isn't sticky keys, and I didn't keep pressing it. I held it down while inserting CD. Ironically if done without inserting a CD it didn't do this.......but **** + insert CD has always been a Windows Explorer shortcut.

a>

BTW, I do not yet have image editing software installed on my computer (just reinstalled Windows XP), so for the time being, the screen capture is a bitmap. Sorry about that to any dialup users. As soon as I get more software installed, I'll convert it to a .jpg

Quote:
Ironically if done without inserting a CD it didn't do this

Nuff said bro.

btw
u need to give access to that page.

AND
now that I re-read your post....I realize that I shoved my foot in my mouth
:P

Sorry, there are multiple servers here and it took time for the servers to update. I had done a

chmod 744

from within my acct on the AIX servers to give you all read access.....but even though an

ls -l

showed the attributes as

RWXR..R..

the web server didn't update. Try loading the page again, I was able to get it after a short delay.

Quote:

I held my shift key for 1 min, and it didnt do what you have said.

Bet you held left-shift didn't you. The FilterKeys shortcut is to hold down right-shift for 8 seconds. Check in Control Panel -> Accessilibility Options and you'll see it in there. Note that from this control panel you can disable all of those annoying shortcuts. (click "Settings..." on each one and untick "Use Shortcut")