Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Ok on Internet and gaming system, what are the services I ca

#1 - Don't disable any services unless you know exactly what they do

#2 - Set something to MANUAL if you don't want it to load at bootup. I have seen some instances that services start anyway if they are set to manual, but this is only if another service is dependent of the service you changed to Manual.

#3 - Just open up the Service list and expand the window, along with each description bar. Each service tells you what it is/does. I know you can disable Spooler, Scheduler, Alerter, and a couple others depending if you are on a NT/2000 existing network or not. Be careful not to set a bunch to Manual and restart. Only set a few to Manual (and take note which ones you changed) and reboot. If something Is f**ked, it will be pretty obvious which setting(s) to set back to Auto.

Good luck

Task scheduler is always a good one to set to disabled, i don't think i know anyone who uses it, it just sits and hogs resources smile

i always find disabling remote registry manipulation causes no problems, and possibly protects you from a desaster if your administrator password is nothing / blindingly obvious

3rd party apps will also places themselves in the services list if applicable, so i suggest giving the list a browsing, and see what you can see, see if anything makes itself immediately obsolete

things such as "<X> Software Registration reminder" are obviously unnessecary, and if particularly poorly optimised, will feast on your clock cycles and possibly memory