Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TomHalligan

w2kpro will not boot-up while I'm trying to install HP Photo

I'm trying to introduce an HP Photosmart 1000 printer to W2K pro (recent upgrade from Win98) I followed the instructions that came with the installation CD, have the printer powered up and the printer cable inserted into the parallel port. When I start up my computer, Windows 2000 hangs during boot up!!!

Any helpfull suggestions will be most welcome ...Thanksconfused

Have you tried connecting it with the usb cable? As opposed to the parallel cable. It might just work.

Maybe if you checked the parallel port settings in BIOS, you can get it to work as parralel.

Josia,

I've gotten a USB cable and now W2K boots up though it's very unstable. the New Device Wizard does not show up, though W2K does see the printer, and the printer is not installed. Furthermore, W2K will not shut down, I have to turn off the power...

...AAAAArgh!!!!confusedfrown

Palos,

I'm going to check the settings as you've suggested ...but I'm not really sure of what I'm looking for!?

Thanks for the response

TomH

To properly install an USB device you must FIRST install the drivers, and THEN reboot and while rebooting connect the USB cable and Powercable.

After it boots it finds the device and installs the drivers by itself.

HP is apparently struggling with fixes for many of their printers under Win 2K.

I installed the P1100 with the NT drivers using the Have Disk method but the PC will not boot with the printer connected in parallel. The printer does not show up in Device Manage not even as IEEE or 'Other Device' doing this BUT...after booting with printer cable disconnected, I can re-attach the cable and the printer works ok.

If I let Windows detect new hardware (in parallel) it sees the printer but hangs and freezes with a CPU spike when it tries to find drivers.

This is a hassle for a very expensive printer! $%#@

Check out the solutions at the HP website forums...

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/eng/gateway_forums.htm

...click on the 'digital imaging - photosmart' link. HP has people monitoring the forums that MAY be able to help. There's a bunch of known conflicts (Roxio, various virus scanners etc.) that HP seems to think is behind all this. I think it's deeper than that.

Good luck (seriously).