Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg S Trouw

Yo, where is my command prompt?

What has Microsoft done with the command prompt? I STILL like to use a command line interface at times for things, and though MS is merging both Windows families in winXP (though even 9x had a DOS prompt), the entry on my start menu for the command prompt present in win2k, and winXP up through RC1 seems gone.

It's no longer in the start menu under all programs/ Accessories, and I can't seem to get it somewhere else. How is one to launch the command prompt in winXP Pro final build? Don't tell me MS removed the command prompt, some people still use it for some things. I want access to the command prompt window again.

This one is better, and is the method all us NT pimps have been running for years. Go to Start>Run and type "cmd" (without the quotes). You will get scrolling functionality as well as a couple of other little tweaks that I can't think of right now.

yeah well to most of us just typing cmd is the way to go but for people (like my roomates for example) browsing the cascading menus is somehow easier or more simple (i just don't get it)

But it is not there.

Under Start/All Programs/ Accessories, there is NO command prompt listing, hehe......

There was in all the betas and release candidates, though under the final........ (which I had since beta 1 as an MSDN subscriber), was there in win2k final, and all the way back to, I had win2k since beta 3, and it was there in NT 4, but now......it's gone, hehe

Either it wasn't there from the final build (did Microsoft hide this or something), or something got jacked up during one of the crashes, where, well.......to make a long story short.......

I got a Hercules Prophet 4500 back in the days of Release Candidate 1, did a fresh install with the then lattest win2k drivers for the Kyro2 and all was fine.

Now, I got the final retail build almost a month ago (via MSDN subscription), do a fresh install with it, and the then lattest winXP drivers, and constant crashes, lockups, blue screen STOPs, etc 5-6 times a day. Even with the lattest drivers (the 9.x drivers) from either Hercules's site or from PVR's site, it's not so frequent, but......

One easy blue screen to replicate with these, go to run chkdsk during boot time (aka do a chkdsk /f on the boot partition) and let it schedule it for next boot, reboot, let it run, and after it will bluescreen complaining about pvr.sys.

How things went from no crashes on the Release Candidate with pre-XP specific drivers (older win2k drivers) to blue screens with Power VRs XP specific drivers on the final build.....well that's kinda backwards.

Did Microsoft remove this from the start menu (thx Microsoft, hehe), or did it get goofed up when the new XP gfx drivers were going into lala land, with XP saying the computer is being shut down to prevent further damage to the computer, and then invariably every time complaining about PVR's XP gfx drivers?

Which XP do you have? I only have Pro, and I don't know if Home has it removed (I am also assuming that MSDN is now providing both versions, as my subscription won't be available again until Q2 2002).

Hmm.......this is odd then My start menu does not have it

Well, this install has had some problems due to them gfx drivers.....and, bad enough to convince me to buy a new gfx card.....and I do not want a hardware config with bad drivers counting.

Quite frankly I do NOT want to have to deal with activation anyway, and am extremely opposed to this entire system. But definitely, I will not activate any system with device driver probs. As a win2k user, and a winNT 4.0 user, I'm not used to having to deal with regular blue screens, and I don't think any user should ever have to get accustomed to it.

With 3 days left to activation, I'm toasting this install soon anyway. Maybe after I get a new gfx card, and rid of these drivers and their probs, but even then I really, really do NOT WANT to have to activate. Perhaps something did get royally screwed up during one of these blue screens then.