Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Four and Twenty

Ok this one is for all you scsi gurus out there

I have found out that i need a terminator and an 80 pin to 68 pin adaptor to hook up my new scsi drive (refer to post: http://www.ntcompatible.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=18300 ) However i am unsure of what type of terminator to buy and where to buy it from.

i need to know a website that i can get the 80 to 68 pin adaptor and a terminated 68 pin ultra2 lvd scsi cable. aparently my drive requires an active termintator what ever that means. all of the info about the drive and controller are in the post i linked to above

I only want to have to do one order to get all the parts/cables to get this working and i wanna make damn sure it it the right stuff b4 i order it.

OK, can't tell you where to buy one as I'm in the UK, but you need a wide (ie 68 pin) LVD cable, an LVD terminator and the SCA 68-80 pin adapter, and that's it.

Without an active terminator, you'd set the last device on your SCSI cable to be terminated with the jumper pin on the back of the drive. An active terminator is effectively an extra device that sits at the end of the cable, so you wouldn't set the SCSI jumper on the drive to be terminated, the active thing will do that for you. It's not much bigger than the plug on the cable itself. Due to the lower voltage in an LVD cable, it needs an active terminator to properly terminate the chain.

So basically, you want 1 LVD cable, plug your drive on that (with the adapter in place!!), stick the active terminator on the last plug of the cable and you're away smile

anyone know of a good place to buy this some where in the us?

i have been looking at sites that i linked to off of pricewatch and so far i have not found a site with parts that i am 100% sure will work

thanks for the advice but i have called everyone in the phone book for my area. I was hoping that you some of you might know a website that i could buy these at that had a clear description of the part you are buying.

I had 2 SCSI devices earlier. 1 Internal Yamaha CD-R (2x4x) and on this I set the terminator in the raer of the device. and I also had 1 exteral device being a 3.2 GB seagate HD. For this external one I used an old Macintosh HD case that had an external terminator. If you have a external device. Usually I whould think that there is a ternminator built into it.

And every internal drive has a terminator choise in the rear jumpers. As for the cable converter. I had an SCSI 1 connection on the Mac box and a SCSI 2 connection on the SCSI card. I got the adapter for free from a friend, so no help there.. frown but, you didn't mention if you had a external device (wich I believe you have since all the internal cables are the same (I think)). This converter must niot be that hard to find at a large store... Now, I'm in sweden, so I can't help you there either frown sorry

I have not dealt with the 80-pin SCSI hard drives........I always ordered the 68-pin variety. For my hard drives currently, I have an Adaptec SCSI card 29160 which is an upgrade from the Adaptec 2940u2w SCSI card I had.

Basically, when I needed more HD space, I was looking on adding a second 37.6 GB HD (my first Cheetah a 9.1 GB). The cost of an Ultra 160 37.6 GB Seagate Cheetah was about $560 (and on Pricewatch the adapter was less then $200).....and of course ordered online, no sales tax. A 37.6 GB Ultra2 Seagate Cheetah was over $800.....I wasn't about to pay more to keep my current SCSI adapter, so bought both the adapter and the Ultra160 drive. (Latter on I found that the U160 drive could run on a u2w adapter, but oh well.)

My 2 HDs are a 9.1 GB Seagate Cheetah (mine's actually an engineering sample, from the second batch of 1,000.....as my old computer was built just before these drives went to the general market), model# ST39102LW. The new HD is a 37.6 GB Seagate Cheetah for Ultra160 SCSI, model# ST 336704LW.

In the case with these, and to my knowledge with any internal LVD SCSI drive, there is no termination jumper on the drive itself. The termination is provided using a special LVD SCSI cable (the active terminator is on the end of the cable). Now, these cables are rather pricey (I needed a longer one when I added the second HD, and the cable was $70. One either neads a twisted or laminated SCSI cable. If one uses a SE SCSI cable, the drive will be forced back into SE "legacy" SCSI mode (detecting this), and won't use LVD signaling anymore. If you get a proper LVD SCSI cable, the terminator is on the end of the cable. You are talking an internal drive, right?