Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reversing_drive

Any Good Cloning/Image Software ?

I was wondering:p

If there is a possibilty to make an image of a really good clean installation of for example Win2K with service packs and hotfixes(With all your settings, tweaks and configurations, which can otherwise take days to fix up). Then have the image written to a CD and when you feel like you need a fresh install you can just re-transfer the image of your perfect install, ready-to go from a CD?

Hey, just a suggestion.

I know from experience that it is not the installation of the OS that takes time, it is the fiddling after that takes a heck of a lot of time frown

Cheers,

Yes, this is possible and also widely used I believe. For my part I've done about what you describe for years, using Drive Image.

The habit started with the same thought that you have, but has evolved a bit. As new drivers, software updates and new hardware anyhow come along frequently it makes your original image kinda dusty pretty fast. Besides,you also have to do the same thing for your data...

So, I keep all data and the system on the same partition, and take an image about 2 to 4 times a month. These images are saved on another (physical) harddrive. Typically I keep like the three-four most recent ones saved there. Every now and then I save one to external media too, just to be perfectly safe. This way I can easily turn back time whenever I need to (just need to refresh the data part from the most current image).

In addition to this I occasionally also install an image of my current system to the other harddrive, and by switching boot sequence in bios I can then boot to a 1:1 copy of my system, and fiddle around there keeping the real system intact. Has saved me lots of work.

Try it, you'll love it.

H.

I do exactly what Dirty Harry does except I keep my HDD's in removable mobile racks and swap back and forth instead of dual-booting. Drive Image is 'da bomb. I can do all kinds of messing around with my OSes witho absolutely no worries about borking anything up. If I do, I just reimage my drive and in about 6 or 7 minutes I'm ready to go again with a fresh install.

Hi,

I personally use Symantec Ghost, and I must say it works like a charm ! You can even image a hdd that has bad clusters and you will obtain something clean on the new hdd, providing there wasn't any crucial data on the bad blocks. To burn your image on a cd can be performed with Ghost, though I haven't tried because I don't have a burner.

So, go for it ! Whatever soft you want to use, it can save you hours and hours of reinstallation and settings...

Good luck and keep us informed !

Yup Norton/symantec ghost all the way smile It can directly burn to cd which is nice smile I can 100% recomend it.

Quote:

I can do all kinds of messing around with my OSes witho absolutely no worries about borking anything up

Couldn't help a smile chuckle here since you are Backing up EVERYTHING!

If you are looking for investment in cloning definetely Symantec Ghost

Bur since you are buying it. Definetly get the 2002 version.

It is a lot smaller, faster and more capable.

It is the same old reliable 2001 with loads of additions and better code.

It is only 9 MB's...