Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Four and Twenty

which scsi hard drive should i buy

i am going to be buying a scsi hard drive very soon and i was wondering what ur opions are

i am looking at getting either an ibm ultrastar 10000 rpm scsi or a segate cheeta 10000 rpm scsi. they are both around the same price so i was wondering which one would be more reliable long lasting etc.

I have IBMS and regard them very highly....

but Seagate is the king of SCSI.

either way, they're both good drives.

All of the SCSI drives I use in our raid arrays at work are Seagate...they are awesome.. Don't know about IBM.. I always by Seagate when it comes to SCSI HDs.

Just bought an IBM ultrastar 1000t/m 160, and I find it VERY silent and of course fast.

Before that I had 2 UW IBMs and never had any problem with them.

For me the silence factor is important.

Anyone used that 18.2GB 15000 rpm drive out yet? I was thinking about striping like 4 of those babies....any word on their performance?

If you need storage space, and can live with the lower rpm then this HD is the one to choose:

Seagate Barracuda 180: 181.6GB SCSI U160 WIDE 7200Rpm 16.4Mb Cache 7.4 ms access time!!!

A monster I tell you!!!

And also regarding the 15000rpm monsters they are seagate cheeta dries and range between 18.4 and 36.7GB and they also come in fiberchannel options smile both having 3.7 ms access ties wink

Seagate have been leading the SCSI drives for a long time... Id go with them...

Talking IDE I use only the IBMs for them being quiet...