Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TaediumVitae

Server Service "Disappearance"

Hey,

For the third time in 3 Win2K Pro installs now, the Server (a.k.a. LanmanServer) service has mysteriously "disappeared". It won't load, and it's not in the list in the Service Management thingy either. Upon boot, I get the error message:

Source: PerfNet

Event ID: 2004

Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.

I have no idea when it happened. I've searched the MSKB and TechNet without success.

It hasn't had any discernible impact at all until now when I want to run Terminal Services (installed it from the Win2K Server CD, \I386\adminpak.msi) as it doesn't work, and I think it's due to the missing Server service.

Thankful for any help as to "re-registering" the service or somehow reinstalling it because I'm losing my hair over this. Oh, and I'm running SP2 now (but this happened under SP1 too).

That sounds absolutely fabulous! However, and please bear with me for a minute, I get a

<windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt or missing; please install a new copy.

[paraphrased]

when I try booting with the Recovery Console. I've had it installed for ages, but never had any use for it until now. First time I noticed the boot.ini was wrong, \cmdcons pointed to the wrong partition, but I fixed that. Now, however, I get this error.

I tried copying over the ntoskrnl.exe from \WINNT\system32 to \cmdcons\system32 to no avail. I guess it's not that easy eh? smile