Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gorm

Newbie security questions

Installed Win2k Server couple of days ago and now starting to get paranoid beacause I ran security tests at grc.com and they said some of my ports were open. Ok so here's my question: what's the best way to completely secure your system from hackers,spyware and stuff without loosing the capability to visit the net? The only thing I would like to have enabled is the function for setting up an FTP server, surfing the web, downloading etc. Can you close ports by disabling services like telnet, finger etc, or is that done by using a firewall that has these options?

Currently using zonealarm on a cable connection and it seems to work ok but I'd like to run those probe port tests and get the answer stealth on most of the ports.

As you probably figured out already my experience in this areas are close to zero and I really like some good info on this.

Gorm

Thanks alot for all your help AlecStaar. Your tips about which services to run really works great. Now my system really runs smooth and I've freed up quiet large amounts of RAM also. I'm down to running only these services on automatic:

DHCP Client

DNS Client

Event Log

Network Connections

Plug and Play

RPC

SAM

Windows Management Instrumentation

Windows Management Instrumentation Driver

Of course I have some more set to manual but I haven't seen none of them starting during normal work so I guess they are not needed. Besides that the HOSTS file you sent me is running great, it's good to get rid of some crap while your surfing.

Again thanks for all you help.

Gorm