Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GTwannabe

NTFS and automatic disk checks?

Back in the days when I used FAT32, if Win2k would bluescreen and crash, it would automatically schedule a disk check.

With NTFS, it never does a startup disk check. Is there any way to force the system to do disk checks if it isn't shutdown properly? I ask because if I startup with a "dirty" disk, the system hangs for 10-20 seconds with the HDD light lit while loading items in the taskbar.

Try "chkntfs /?" (without the quotes, natch) at a CMD prompt to see some simple options for setting the way chkdsk behaves at startup.

For more detailed information about the way your version of NT deals with "dirty" NTFS partitions you would probably be best off searching on the terms at the MSKB. The default behavior is probably the best choice for the vast majority of circumstances.

- Collin

Yes everybody there are ways but the question is why???

NTFS fixes itself when the system is running, there are no such thing as lost clusters etc.

If it messes up it does it big time anyway and you learn to keep up to date backups.

But Quite frankly in all the machines I have not seen a single ntfs crash in 2 years. (Maybe one but I am suspecting it was the idiot operator deleting dll files. So it was a system crash)

If you add /BOOTLOG to your boot.ini line, you can see that CHKDSK actually does run and check if the disk is clean or not.

I've noted that the startup check is fairly lax. After a crash, you can often run CHKDSK /F and find some minor corruption.

Sorry to burst your bubble Uykucu m8, but no file system is perfect, and clusters DO still get lost, although they can obviously be recovered by a disk check

smile