Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Medieval__

Possible solution to some WinXP-WinXP networking

For the life of me I tried most things, I couldn't get it to work.

My setup is cable modem-->hub-->2 comps (XP network wizard doesn't suggest this but that's how I do it since I get multiple free ips and I like each comp being independent)

Anyhoo, to my dismay I could not get WinXP and WinXP to network much (occassionally the shared folders would work but the workgroup would not, wierd). I tried disabled firewall, some things suggested here.

Well, what I ended up doing was readin the help.. it says in my case it SUGGESTS to install the IPX protocol to be used for LAN.

ANyhoo I installed IPX on both, and everything works perfectly now. The moral of the story I guess is if the OS suggests you do something, you better do it damnit smile

Medieval

i know that with my cable modem that i used to have if u let it hand out muliple ips through the hub it would put them on different subnets so that they couldn't access eachother directly through tcpip for microsoft networking. that is probly the same in ur case ant that is why it is working with ipx cause it is a totaly separate protocol

just a though