Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Me

2072 and cable modem dont get along

First i had 1946. cable modem worked. then skipped to 2099 and 2114. cable modem worked. Now i have 2072 cuz i want my tnt to work (which it does!) but i cant get my cable modem to work now. in the net neighbor hood thing, its listed as connected but i cant get anything. I run my Road Runner setup and it has to connect to a setup server but i get an error that says it cant get an ip address. i know its not the isp cuz i booted to win98 and ran setup and it worked. the only difference since the previous builds is i have 2 NIC's installed. win2k doesnt report any conflicts... What gives. Any thoughts?

I've got Win2000 Pro build 2072 working with RoadRunner right now. Some things to check... Make sure all of your TCP/IP settings are at default. I know if I tried to specify anything RR Logins would fail. Make sure you have it doing DHCP and you don't have DNS or a domain assigned. Another thing... Do you have more than 1 NIC in your system? If so, make sure that RR is trying to use the correct NIC. I had a problem with that under WinNT4 but Win2K hasn't given me any problems there. One more thing... Do you have more than 1 PC connected to RR? I'm using a hub and have my cable jacked into the x-over port. Then I jack 3 systems into my hub (10baseT only) and connect to RR that way. Of course you have to pay for an extra 2 IP's to do this but that's another story. Anyway, I sometimes have problems where I can connect 1 or 2 of the PC's but the 2nd or 3rd will not login until I shut down all PC's and reboot the cablemodem. Can't think of anything else right now... Good Luck!

Rob

I got build 2072 to work with both network cards. one ISA one PCI. I had to manualy assign IP addresses for both cards as well as manualy assign gateway and DND servers. If ya ISP assigns different IP's then I have no idia. @Home never changes IP's smile

I got it working. i installed those 2 hotfixes and it fixed the prob.