Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HELLBRINGER

Takes about 2 minutes to do one thing on remote comp

When I access the remote server from any workstation it may take several minutes to do one operation such as directory list, rename file, open file... But does not do this all the time.

Does anyone have any clue what the problem is or can help me narrow down the problem?

I am wild guessing server is doing something else in that time, or maybe network gets slower, or your connection is slow.

I am guessing again, It does it in normal time just your terminal server client is not displaying it.

I have the same problem time to time.

Not likely any of those. I think it is an issue with PDC. Ever since I made a server a PDC I have had small network issues like these.

Is it maybe that the PDC server is a slow computer? But it worked fine without PDC.

My PDC is only a PDC and serves files on its HD. That is all.

The system is a 200MHz with 80MB EDO RAM. Is this insufficent?

Also 80MB is rather low for a PDC. Ram is so cheap, perhaps you can invest in an upgrade.

-RY

What OS is it? Using NT 4.0 server, it will work (not optimally) with that little RAM, but Win2K Server has the following requirements:

Recommended Windows 2000 Server System Requirements

Processor: Intel Pentium 133 Mhz or higher.

Memory (RAM): 256 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum (128 MB minimum supported; 4 gigabytes [GB] maximum).

Available Hard Disk Space: 1.0 GB hard disk space*

Monitor: VGA or higher-resolution monitor

Other Hardware: Ensure that all system components are on the Beta 3 Hardware Compatibility List for Microsoft Windows 2000 Server.

* Additional free space on your hard disk may be required if you are installing Windows 2000 Server products over a network.

This was pulled from here.

Now, add AD on top of that, and you are asking for trouble. Go to 256MB of RAM in that system and you should see a marked improvement in performance. But, of course you KNEW what the minimum recommendations were since you read them off of the box that the software came in, right?

I think looking at the config, they are just trying to avoid spending money.

BTW talking about Ram he is probably using SIMMS and they are very expensive. 5-6 times the price of Dimms

Saving money or not, it should not have been installed on a system of such low memory specs to begin with. Throwing AD on top of it made matters worse. It's as simple as that, no big deal.

I just had a thought,

Remembering another server I worked on, it would take forever to access its resources from a worekstation by browsing through 'entire network' or 'network neighborhood'. If I mapped the same share to a drive letter, I did not have any issues. Could you try that out. I would be quite interested in what you find out, and if thats the case I'll go into what I found to cause that problem.

Also could you please let us know if you are running win2k server or nt4.

-RY

He is using terminal server client ryoko.

mapping etc is not applicable

Clutch, we all agree he should not have. But he did... Ofcourse it will not work but this is experience for him and his customer.

Which is good or worst I leave it open for debate...

I think the main part that bothers me is that it's SO much easier for somebody to get a hold of Win2K Advanced Server than it is to get a decent $250 box to install and test it on. That is just really starting to get to me, and I don't know why. It's like:

"Hi, I have this '78 Pinto, and I 'found' this really cool 35ft powerboat that I would like to tow with it. But the Pinto can't seem to move it, so does anybody have any cool tweaks I can do to get it running?"

"Uhmm, how about getting a truck?"

"Nope, can't afford one. But I am 'sure' I can get this Pinto to pull it, I just need some help figuring out a way to do it."

"So, you have a $35,000 boat (or whatever a pimpy-superfly boat costs), and a $35 car to tow it with?"

"Yep."

"You're screwed. Just let the boat sink the car while it's hooked to the trailer and walk away with the $12.50 insurance claim..."

So, in a case like this, you just have to say "No, it won't work, it shouldn't work, and you shouldn't have been able to put this car/boat (or computer/software) combo together in the first place. If you can sport the software, then you really need the horsepower to use it. So, I am sorry if anybody takes this personally and I don't mean to offend anybody. I just kind of wonder what someone is thinking when they "acquire" software of this magnitude, and throw it on a system of such horribly low specs.

I have upgraded the server. But I don't seem to be having the problem any more. I have re-formatted as well.

This problem, as of now... is resolved.