Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

"Error Spawning cl.exe" in Visual C++ Enterprise 6

Hi All,

I seem to keep getting this error regardless of what I try! Apparently, It seems that its a Visual C++ problem (the actual program itself). I tried removing Visual C++ and re-installing it MULTIPLE TIMES to no use. I'm running a FRESH INSTALLATION of windows 2000 pro.

Someone please help. THIS IS URGENT!

OK,

1.) Is there an easy way to find out ALL related such directories / paths?

2.) ADD them under "Administrator paths" or "system paths"?

Ok I seem to be thinking reeeeeeal slow today, so please bear with me. As we all know, visual studio installs on two main directories, a "sommon files" one, and a regualar "program files" one. In this case

these are

c:\vstudio

c:\microsoft visual studio

So i go into control panel->system->Advanced->Enviroment variables

THEN WHAT? can i just add a new entry called say "Vstudio path stuff" with it pointing to c:\vstudio\*.* and c:\microsoft visual studio\*.* ???

Please bear with me and give me small details that i can absorb as a college student, not a microsoft emplyee! lol. (kidding)

Ok, I just added all subdirs under c:\vstudio and c:\microsoft visual studio And my path now looks something like this:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;c:\vstudio;c:\microsoft visual studio;c:\vstudio\IDE;c:\vstudio\graphics;c:\vstudio\MSDev98;c:\vstudio\setup;c:\vstudio\tools;c:\vstudio\wizards98;c:\microsoft visual studio\VB98;c:\microsoft visual studio\VC98

It STILL insists on giving me that "error spawning cl.exe" BS! HEEEEEELP!

cl.exe seems to be working fine. I already added its path and still Visual C++ refuses to compile! (same error).

Tools -> Options -> Directories.

Ensure that the "executable files" set of directories includes the directory that cl resides in.

Thanx DrPizza! It now works like a dream. I had to add two more directories, one for Lib file, and the other for include files. Thanx man! You're a life saver!