Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BladeRunner

Intel's 20Ghz CPU's - Nice

Just got the almost daily e-mail from silicon.com.

Nice little bit about Intel and the technology behind their future products:

Intel will today unveil a chip packaging technology which should increase its semiconductors' processing power by around ten times over the next five years.

The new technology will allow chips to be made that contain over a billion transistors and run at 20GHz. The 2GHz Pentium 4 has only 42 million transistors.

The chip dispenses with the tiny solder balls, which secure the microprocessor core, or die, to the packaging. These solder balls transmit current and data from the motherboard to the processor.

Called Bumpless build-up layer (BBUL), the chip has the die placed directly into the packaging, doing without three of the seven layers that comprise conventional processors such as the Pentium 4.

Gerald Marcyk, director of Intel's components research lab, told Reuters: "This allows us to have higher performance, thinner packages and eventually lower power. Getting the silicon coplanar with the rest of the package, that is, embedding it, that's the real invention."

Just in case anybody was interested.

The great thing about it is that it will allow them to run even higer clock speed slower cpu, and more ineffeciant then the P4.

Intel is taking the American Car philosophy,, throw more horsepower at it, even tho a European car with half the power can outrun it.

I honestly believe that other chip companies may take the lead in the future. IBM is the frontrunner I think.

Man i allways find this kindoff stuff interesting. No matter what way you look at it computers seem to double in speed every year. I makes you wonder ... will it ever stop...?

They were saying back in the days of the 386 that they could probably not push over 33mhz because it was causing some sort of interfernce with television/radio waves. (Or something like that)

Even quotes such as the one from Bill Gates (Back in the 80's) "No one should need more than 512k memory" (or something Like that)

I certanly think that optics are the future, & APK that Rushmore, is that just like one big block of memory (No moving Parts),

Though i fail to see how 20GHZ could ever find it's way in to the home/homeoffice , surely this proccessing technology could only be used to it's capacity in Science and Physics/Astronimical calculations. Maybe in Multimedia production?

I mean many people fail to see what difference(noticeable) a 1GHZ processor does compared to a 2GHZ, people just never use that much power. And for example, what is Win XP's recommended minimum requirements, 128mb RAM, PIII or equivalent ~700mhz.

Yeah well i'm no tech. expert.

But yeah, hey BladeRunner do you have a URL 4 us man to check it out?

Cheers,