Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DecoyDuck

Phantom File problems

This is a damn strange one.

I've just jumped ship from 2k to XP Pro and generally I've had no problems. Except for this one. I have, what would appear to be, a lovely phantom file (vspubapi.dll. A part of ZoneAlarm), that I cannot delete, move or rename.

Attempts to delete the file in Windows Explorer, show the file disappearing from the Explorer window, only to reappear when I refresh, or open a new window.

Attempts to delete the file in a Command Prompt (using either erase or del), do as predicted, and return no error messages. Assumingly deleting the file. That is until I type dir again, which shows the file as still there.

I can open the file in notepad, enter some random gibberish into the file, and successfully save it. This shows the size of the filename increasing, but again, if I try to delete it the file reappears, back at 0 bytes.

I can also successfully copy another file, with the same name, over it. But then when I try to delete the file I've just assumingly over-written, it vanishes and reappears, back at 0 bytes again.

And, the one which concerns me the most, attempts to move or rename the file throw an error saying that the directory or file is corrupt and that I should run chkdsk. Except I've run chkdsk several times, both with /R flag, as a start-up scan, and also from the recovery console and neither of them find any problems with the disk or the files on it.

I've searched groups.google.com and tried loads of things suggested by other people appearing to have the same problem (across a variety of OS' as far back as NT 3.5), but none of them work frown

If you guys have any ideas as to how I can get rid of this bastard file, I'd be extremely greatful.

If not, I'll go back to 2k (again) frown

Hmmm, it could be taking advantage of windows WFP. Try scanning the Windows dir for the file and delete multiple instances of it.

I really should have thought of that one shocked

Still nothing though. There's only 1 vspubapi.dll on my PC.

I'm beginning to suspect the MFT, but I wouldn't even know how to go about fixing it, assuming it is the problem.

make sure before you do the search that you have both "Show hidden files and folders" selected and "Hide protected operating system files" not selected. (these are found under folder options)

You say it's a 0byte file when it's created? Try searching your registry for the file.

Start/run/regedit

Then go to find and type in the name!

I went through the registry and removed all references to the file, but it still wouldn't play fair, and after wandering aimlessly around the net for a few hours looking for solutions, I gave up, and formatted the partition as FAT32 this time. So if it comes to it, and I have the same problem again, I can always try the old DOS bootdisk approach.

Thanks for the help anyway, Guys. Much appreciated.