Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GTwannabe

So, what upgrades do you plan down the road?

When my PIII 733 doesn't cut the mustard anymore, I think I'll get one of those Tyan Tiger MP boards and run dual Athlon MP's. They should be up around 2Ghz by then wink

A USB-enabled microwave would be cool. Other than that, I'm cool.

I was hoping to install the firmware upgrade in my car that doubles the number of cylinders from 4 to 8.

I also want the wallet upgrade that allows money to be taken out in an unlimited fashion.

Failing that, I'd be happy with a GF3 and 19" LCD.

Me. Oh, I'm waiting for a 512-way Itanium rig.:D

Seriously, I'm waiting for my damn GF2 Pro card to come in.

I'm looking at getting some larger drives for my VP6 in RAID 1, or 0 (have ta think about that one), upgrading my power supply on both to 400 Watters, especially my A7V--I have at least 10 fans in this rig, along with 4 drives, and overclocked CPU, and just about every slot filled---all running on a 300 Watter PSU. It doesn't happen often enough, but I can guarantee that the lock up I get about once every month or two is the cause. I've got a few other things that demand my cash right now, but that's one thing I recently realized I ought to get. That or remove a few fans, cause it's kinda loud--not as bad as a Delta tho 8)

I thought I'd throw in a word about dual processor boards- I have one, and can't see any performance increases- bp6 runnings dual 533's for the heck of it. I was thinking about going to the Tyan board, but have been seeing some reviews that are making me back of a bit, even programs designed to use the dual processor capabilities aren't gaining more than 4 or so seconds on a project, even Corel Draw 10... Kinda sad. I wonder if Linux running vmware and NT or 2k would pick that up a bit...?

well i just upgraded to a Dual PIII 850 on a Tyan Thunder 2400

and sold my old motherboard processor and ram

o yeah i also sold the one of my ide raid cards and my 2 system drives.

so now i am in the market for a new graphics card as my friend is borrowing my tnt2 and i don't think i am gonna get it back any time soon. I am looking at getting a geforce 2 mx400

also since i sold my raid array and i am running this system off one crappy 5400 rpm hard drive that i borrowed from a friend, i need some new fast storage for the system drive. I am looking at getting a 10000 rpm 9 or 18 gig scsi 2 hard drive

Just be a simple motherboard/CPU & memory upgrade for me.

Happy enough with my ASUS CUSL2-Black Pearl/PIII 1Ghz/512MB for now and with Powerleap claiming to have an adaptor almost ready to run the new style PIII's on a standard 815 chipset it might give it a little more life.

As for upgrades, well I wont bother with a dual CPU setup - complete waste of money, hardly any applications out there will use the second CPU.

Probably will stick to Intel, Intel bits and pieces have a tendancy of running 'out of the box' without too much arsing around.

I would have to disagree that dual is a wast of money

i use alot of adobe programs as well as do alot of multitasking and the my computer can finally keep up with me

and just because a program may not be written to use both processors doesn't mean you can't take advantage of both. Using SMP see saw pro i can set the processor affinity for any/all processes running on the system meaning i can devots one processor to one or more applications and run all the other processes on the other processor.

I love the dual setup and i have only begun to play

I wouldn't mind switching my Athlon SLOT A, to an Athlon Socket A, I like that Asus A7A266, I can use my PC133 memory for a while before jumping to DDR.

If I don't do that then a second hard disk 40 GB 7200 RPM minimum with ATA 100 card would be nice and possibly a faster GeForce2 card, Geforce 2 Ultra or 3.