Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bug_666

When are you switching to WinXP?

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

it seems that some people are not planning on switching right away. if you are one of them, what are your reasons?

1. WPA mad

2. I want to upgrade my system to better specs (a k6-2 @350 with only 128 isn't just the right thing to use with XP :P )

3. I want all my PC components XP ready when it ships. This includes a future purchase of a terratec EWX 24/96

4. Pricing. frown I still don't know how much will cost me a winxp full licence (in €).

5. I also happen to like Win2k now

i have said this before and i will say it again. If you are using 2k and you have to pay for software it isn't even worth it to get XP, the price of an upgrade isnt even worth it. XP is a great OS, but at the same time it doesnt offer much over 2k when it comes to things, the only reason i use XP is because of remote desktop connection, and a few other things that are cosmetic. I also got XP for a discount so it was worth it to upgrade for me. If your using a 9x OS then the XP path is good otherwise its not really that viable an option unless you need some of the features for business use.

My reasons have been defined already for not going to XP.

Restating the two above posts:

XP doesn't offer me anything I'm going to really use or want. I know I can remove it, but there is a lotta crap I really hate with XP: movie maker, system restore, msn messenger, the fact that there's more annoying crap to disable and settings to change than before, and that it's geared at non uber-geeks. The features are nice for some, but I won't be using most of them to begin with, and others I wish were optional aren't unless you edit this and that.

If you want a purty interface, you can get WindowBlinds or something else for cheap or free.

I don't use instant messaging or really want it, and not being able to have a choice in the matter is irritating.

Movie maker--don't use and don't want it.

System restore--it's limited in it's usefulness since it's not something that can beat doing a backup in the first place.

Personalized menus--I hate that crap, and I don't like having the control panel grouped. More stuff I have to change.

People complain about IE being entwined with Windows, but I think that's the least annoying thing honestly. I haven't seen any reason to not use IE, and Netscape doesn't offer it. If I stop liking IE, I'll look at something else.

While MS is trying to market XP to the business world, I don't see it as such and think that this is going to be a very annoying OS to work with.

XP costed me 2 attempts of downloading over 2 days and 3 cds to get a good copy. Eventually, someone just loaned me the CE, and I got rid of my non-CE.

Since it was free to me(MCSE program at school, and unscrupulous friends :D), installing it instead of 2k doesn't cost me anything.

disable the features I don't use...and I'm on my way at just 80mb RAM usage instead of 72. oh well. no items on desktop is nice...

locked bars is nice.

I use the silver luna, and like it.

I ungrouped the control panel.

I have NT-style login and logout.

no real bugs, other than if I restart my laptop, I lose sound. this happened in 2k as well(only sound was at twice the pitch as norma), so all I can do is shut down for a restart.

I'm going to purchase the Server edition next year when I buy Hammers...but I'll stick with my Pro CE for now

I must be lucky! I have had xp since beta release and currently use pro corp version. I have never had any problens at all except for some known software incompatabilites with burning software which I expected and worked around. I, too love win2k pro and adv. server too.

I had less problems installing xp and configuring whichever machine I installed it upon than most win2k installs. (I am not referring to network machines, mostly home users, friends,etc).

I pretty much spent a month fine tuning this os in my testbed machine with many registry edits, disabling 80% of the native services not being used or needed and disabling the page file for I have a large amount of memory and remembering to document what I did for a change.It is blazing, stability is great. I had to work at locking the os up.

All in all I have no complaints. Can't wait to obtain 2002 adv. server.

cool

Currently using the 120 day evaluation copy.

As I'm not a theiving bastard I'll be waiting until the 25th before I switch over to the final/non timeout version.

Also, to add to my earlier sentiments, XP's NetBEUI protocol hidden on the disk isn't too friendly with every PC running 2k. It's not really beneficial to us, so I can see myself and the rest of the PC's here running XP approximately when hell freezes over. XP is good for some people, but mostly those not running Win2k right now.

Microsoft's licensing is also not pleasing now. I really hate the excessive strings attached.

OK,Ok,

I might switch one day when its mainstream but I really hate the idea of having to contact MS if I upgrade a part or two. I've tried several XP releases and they are OK, but there is nothing earthshuttering when upgrading from W2K. The way I see it, when I bought it, its mine and its none of MS business if I put it on another computer, change mouse or whatever.

XP is just a first step towards a subscription based (read pay-per-the-minute) software, which I'm not going to like. I've paid for all of MS bug fixes so far (W3.1, W95, W98, W2K) put doubt I'll pay to have MS snooping at my hardware. When I switch it could well be that I switch to the corporate edition laying around Internet the other night... Or maybe Linux, W2K is really working too well already, not enough problems to tinker with.

H.

I'll "switch" to XP when it doesn't lock my machine sometimes when I run a DX/OGL game. I do not have ANY problems in 2k. No BSOD's. No nothing...but this is the most major problem I've had with an OS. I did not have this problem in 2k.

I've tried.

1. All versions of Nvidia drivers.

2. Hacking the 12.40's that come with XP with some Nvidia drivers.

3. Changing Nvidia driver options.

4. ALL bios options. Fastwrites/Sidebanding.

5. Switching out the integrated VIA AGP with the 4-in-1

6. Underclocking

7. Overclocking

8. PATCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHEESS

9. Using the opengl32.dll from 2k in XP

Finally I gave up. Reverted back to XP drivers and am currently using "emulation" opengl. Except I'm not because I'm still using 2K because I plan on having a 2k dual-boot for a long time to come. Also from my tests some games work in XP that do not work in 2K but some games that worked in 2K do not work in XP. Due to the fact that MS rushed XP out and driver support is less than optimal (MS has to change enough to make most 2k drivers inadequate). 2k is my friend. smile

i swapped and I am loving every minute of it

summary.jpg

Stable... customisable every app and game i have runs smooth ...

Memory management is great ....

yer i like it

I for one am not buying Windows XP until they kill the worthless registration process!!

been using xp since i got an alpha build (2252 i think) back in july 2000

started using it as my primary os when 2428 was released and have been using it ever since.

well don't make a moral issue out of it

the way i look at it microsoft owes me for me having to put up with windows 98 coming preinstalled on my computer.

I will not change to Windows XP for at least another year and a half, and I **may** skip it all together.

My reasons:

1) I will not use Windows XP until Windows .NET Server is released, OR until there is far better support for Windows XP in the Windows 2000 Active Directory structure.

2) I will not use Windows XP until there is at least one service pack released for it. Also, I will not use Windows .NET Server until there is at least one .NET service pack released. Therefore it may be a while until I make the switch (if, in fact, iI do).

3) I will not use Windows XP until I can find a way (if there is one) to alter installation so that I don't have to install all the CRAP... like the skins and all that other LUNA garbage. Also, I've never seen so many damn wizards and idiot-proof slush before in an OS. There are a couple little improvements that are nice.. for example the Remote Desktop is very sweet, but Terminal Services in Win2k is just fine for me. Also things like locking the taskbars, transparent icon backgrounds, and translucent selection boxes are nice, but hardly worth the extra overhead and pain in the arse of switching.

4)I will not use Windows XP until there has been plenty of time to find any security issues, and have patches available to fix them.

5)I will not use Windows XP simply because it's Windows 2000 with a bunch of added garbage (like skins). Read any documentation, it's basically a different shell on the same kernel, with tons of "enhancements" that may be good for the home user who opens up their browser occasionally and sends an email now and then, but that really make power users want to puke.

There's something you must understand about me and computers. I like lean and mean. Nuttin fancy, just something that runs very fast, runs all my programs, doesn't crash, and has a decent gui, and does not take up unnecessary resources. NT 4 was awesome. The OS still powers huge coorporations and an average installation of the Server version was somewhere around 400 megabytes. Sure there were many security issues with NT 4, but they were all fixed nearly as soon as they were discovered. Windows 2000, as we all know, was all that and a bag of chips.

Oh anyways, I'm at work and I should probably get back to work. I have tried WinXP final version off and on since August 12 (when I got it). There's NOTHING in there that makes me want to change for good. As a matter of fact, there's MANY things about it that give me the shivers.

It would be nice to be able to go for more than a year without being presented with a new OS to try out.

Oh, and another thing... all the extra garbage added onto WinXP might have been ok added ONLY to the personal edition, but has NO PLACE in the Professional edition. And for the love of GOD I hope they don't include all that stuff in the .NET Server editions. Can you imagine going into a server room and seeing LUNA everywhere? **shivers**

And I agree, it's an INCREDIBLY annoying operating system to work with. **stepping down off my soapbox**

ok ok, back to work

ciao

Imaging that rolling green hill and blue taskbar. That little brown dog jumping up and down. The bright colors saying "click me" "click me". The intuitive wizards making it sooooo easy for non-admins to mess up your servers. The bloated junk which MS will probably not allow you to leave our during install which means taking it out AFTER install which means hundreds of left behind files and registry entries.

Ah, Linux WILL rule the world. It's already embedded in everything around the world. Soon it's desktop will reach the appropriate level of user-friendliness. An OS to make both the user/power user happy. smile

Except nothing runs on it. Not to mention that with it (d)evolving into a more "Windows" like interface, it will wind up having most of its instabilities and bloated size as well. I do like the ability to completely customize it, but it isn't worth dealing with until REAL replacements for apps (not that StarOffice POS, or Nutscrape) that run in Windows come out. Does anybody have a good recommendation for an office suite in Linux? I am also waiting for major apps like Flash and Photoshop to make it to Linux, otherwise I will just have an OS and nothing to really use on it. I know that there are a good deal of freebie apps that are available, but I still want the ones that I am familiar with. Changing OS is bad enough, but having to find equivalent apps to replace the ones that I already use (and have licenses for) it just too much at this time.

While WinXP is "handy" with some of its utilities, I find it to be a disappointment because it is such a pig. However, it's definately a major step forward from Win9X.

DosFreak,

I never thought I'd think that way about Linux, but I'm beginning to...

However, I don't think it will make it onto corporate workstations, as the cost of re-training employees on Linux would far outmatch the cost of simply putting Windows everywhere... even though Linux is free.

And also, that whole thing about leftover files and registry entries... that's exactly why I lile my OSs lean and mean. With Windows XP, I just KNOW there are thousands of files and settings and registry entries out there which are completely useless to me, as I would disable all the junk associated with them. When I'm done with a bananna, I don't just throw the peel on the couch.. cuz it takes up space, is gross, and it doesn't belong there. Same concept here. Lotsa trash leftover when you are done disabling and tuning all the settings.

Also, if you notice, when you go into the system properties in Windows XP, to the place where you can change all these settings regarding smooth scrolling, fading, and the like... there are three settings to chose from: Fastest, Custom, and Normal(?). If you chose fastest, then all the garbage that is enabled in the box below becomes disabled. So it is evident right there, that Microsoft knows all the extra crapola included in XP slows down the system.

Hey maybe some day I'll be a die hard Windows XP fan. But as of now, I'm certainly not impressed. I never thought I'd see an operating system use a freakin cow pasture as the default background. Just a solid color, or perhaps a Windows logo or something... would be fine. Or even.. if XP used the Silver color scheme with the Crystal wallpaper as the default... that is quite nice. But BLUE taskbar and GREEN fields!?? Who designed that? Also, I hate that the start button is like 3 times the size of the old one.

I do, however, dig the new start menu. It's handy.

One other thing, I was not too displeased with Windows XP after I disabled everything. It wasn't all that bad when changed back to the old style. The only problems I encountered with that was I couldn't administer my domain using either the adminpak.msi from the Windows 2000 Server CD or the adminpak.msi from the Windows .NET Beta 2 CD. I had to do that by Terminal Servicing into one of my domain controllers and changing things from there. That's not all bad, however it's much nicer just to open up my "MASTER MMC" and do everything from there. That's why, when .NET comes out, I may go ahead and make the switch. I have some reading to to about it. There's not much technical info out on Windows XP yet. Most of it seems to be very watered town top level mush propaganda aimed at the home user.

If anybody has some good links which talk about Windows XP's domain/AD structure and how it relates or works with that of Windows 2000, please list em'.

If you guys can't tell.. I'm extremely bored at work today.

I'm running XP right now and loving every minute of it. My original reasons for upgrading were so I could run Final Fantasy VII without having to have a Win9x partition and therefore ridding my system completely of Win9x forever. While that hasn't exactly come to fruition completely (FFVII crashes at the subgames now instead of the battles, I'm thinking it has something to do with my nVidia video card...) I now have so many other reasons for keeping XP that I just can't get rid of it. 2k required lots of fiddling around to get certain games working to to sloppy coding on the developers behalf. Under XP most of them installed ran effortlessly although a couple still needed special arrangements. XP also appears to cure that stupid "assign every PCI device the same IRQ" problem that 2k had which means my SBLive! doesn't cause a bluescreen when starting a game that uses EAX. The new Luna shell is pretty cool too, it makes a nice change from that boring old explorer shell. Despite the disappointment of having FFVII screw up on me overall I'm still impressed by XP and it will be staying on my box for a while.