Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reversing_drive

Windows Update, The First Visit ..

Whenever i install Win9x, 2K or NT..

the first visit to windowsupdate i allways have the option of Downloading (for example) "Swedish Menu's and Dialogues for Internet Explorer", amoungst a whole lot of other languages for IE.

Usually i take care of Critical updates first, then come back for some of the other updates. No Languages for IE are to be found :(, I search all of http://www.microsoft.com, I search through search engines, the entire Internet Basicallymad and can never find (in my case) "Swedish Menu's and Dialogues for IE" frown.

OK SO my Question is: How do i fool windowsupdate into thinking it is my first visit? Is there any .ini files i should modify or something?

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers.

The following is from microsoft's support website http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q193/3/85.asp

-------------------------------

Clear the Cache and History

Clearing the Cache may resolve some errors that you are receiving. Follow the steps below to clear the cache, then try downloading the component again.

Click View (for Internet Explorer 4.0) or Tools (for Internet Explorer 5.0).

1)Click Internet Options and then click the General Tab.

2)In the Temporary Internet Files section, click Delete Files.

3)In the History section, click Clear History.

4)Click OK.

Clear Contents of the WindowsUpdate Folder

1)Click Start, then click Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.

2)In the left pane, double-click the Program Files folder.

3)In the left pane, double-click the WindowsUpdate folder.

4)In the right pane, highlight wuhistv3.log and click Edit, and then click Invert Selection.

5)Press the Delete key (or right-click and select Delete). Click Yes to confirm.

Note: Deleting the wuhistv3.log file from the WindowsUpdate folder will clear the entire Windows Update download history. This is not recommended, as you will have no record of previous downloads. The steps delete all files except the wuhistv3.log.

------------------------------

I would suggest following these steps and then rename the wuhistv3.log file referenced above to clear your update history and see if the updates you need are available. Once you get what you need, correct the logfile's name to restore your download history.

You also might want to check out Microsoft's Windows Update Corporate Site http://corporate.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp. Here, you can search for drivers and updates that you can download and save locally. It's geared toward IT Professionals that need to download and redistribute components throughout an organization.

Hope this helps.

Thanx heaps for that Korin,

I haven't been able to try it out yet, cos i'm at uni but will do as soon as i get home.

But yeah, it is exactley what i have been looking for, istead of deleting "wuhistv3.log" do you reckon i could just move it temporarily, while i get 'Swedish menu's & Dialogues' then move it back.

Thanks again,:D

Cheers,