Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zoooom

Certain games wont drop to the desktop.

Like quake3, spiderman, red faction. When I hit tab wont drop to the desktop. In fact when I hit tab in spiderman or redfaction the game is screwed I cant get into it or the desktop. And under rare instances it will drop to the desktop but the game will shut down. When I get paged in icq or my firewall app pops up the game is history.. I have to power off the computer. I cant get into task manager. It used to be if a window popped up the game would minimize... kinda of annoying but better then system lockup. Quake3 has an alternative I can hit alt-enter and go into window mode. But this wont work on other games... Any ideas?

running xp prof build 2600

Amd tbird 800 on a Asus A7v mobo

256k ram

nvidia geforce 2 mx with latest xp drivers

... blah

I had similar problems. For ex when I had been playing this Q3A mod online for an hour or two the computer got screwed up, especially when I put up a dedicated gameserver which ate a lot of memory. When I quit the game everything was superslow and windows opened in slowmotion. Sometimes it just froze and I had to restart. You know what solved my problem entirely? More RAM, I upped 256Mb for a total of 512Mb and the problem was gone. XP eats RAM like crazy! smile

Well I dont have a problem like the slow down. I guess I can live with it. I just cant run any apps that "pop up" or I have to reboot.