Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GBlake

Linux Distribution Suggestions

I'd like to know everyone's suggestion for a good Linux Distro.

The main reason I'll be using it is for programming in C and C++ (for school), and for general office work, so I don't always have to boot into windows to check e-mail or use a word processor. (I will be dual booting)

I've tried Mandrake 9.0 already, but I don't really like it. I'm thinking of Redhat 8.0. I've heard that Debian and Slackware are good, but I don't know about installing with just a text-based installer.

What do you guys think?

My specs are:

P3 733

256M RDRAM

1x 20GB HD

1x 80GB HD

Geforce 256

SBLive

Geoff

I like debian personally, not bleeding edge like most of the other distros, but can be with a little work. Also apt is by far the best as far as installing packages. I personally don't care for Redhat 8.0, I liked 7.3 but they kinda screwed up on 8.0.

Debian is awesome, but if you have a bit of change to fork out, go for Xandros:

www.xandros.com

It's based on Debian woody, and has all of Debian's strong points but it easier to manage, has a patched/updated kernel, and a better hardware detection and installation routine. It also looks somewhat similar to a Windows 2000 install, but is all Linux. It also comes with Codeweavers Office and CrossOver plugin to support some Windows-only apps and utilities.

Well, you could try Libranet too, it's also debian based but with an easier installer. And if you pay for it, you get all the latest stuff, but you can download a trimmed version for free.

Personally, I use RedHat 8 and i'm pleased with it.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I looked into both Debian and Slackware more closely, and I wouldn't have been able to install them where I wanted, which was the last third of my 80GB drive, where LILO can not see to boot.

I did end up installing Redhat 8.0, then promptly uninstalled it because it couldn't configure grub properly to boot me into WindowsXP. So, I'm back on Mandrake 9.0, which has everything of mine working properly.

I do have another question though, how do I switch between gcc compiler versions? I installed gcc 2.95.3 from source, but I can't seem to get around gcc 3.2, and I don't know where to look. I need to use v2.95.3 for my programming class, but I'd like to keep 3.2 around for compiling any programs I download that are only available as source code.

Geoff

1. Build the new compiler, whatever version.

2. Go into /usr/bin and rename gcc and g++ to gcc-<oldversion> and

g++-<oldversion>.

3. Install the new version.

4. Go into /usr/bin and rename gcc and g++ to gcc-<newversiion> and

g++-<newversion>. Symlink to the new names, calling the links gcc

and g++.

5. Check to make sure cc and c++ are symlinks to gcc and g++.