Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GTPlayer

Quake 3: Arena Blue Screen?! (And Quake II)

I recently installed Service Pack 2 for Windows 2000 and when I launch Quake II or Quake IIIA, like 30 seconds into the game a blue screen appears really fast and my computer reboots! Whats the deal??? This did not happen before the SP2 installation. BTW im using Direct X8.0a VIA 4in1 v4.33, latest Detonator drivers for my GF2MX.

Damn VIA boards... hehe

For this very reason I refuse to go to VIA MBs...

Did you re-apply the Via 4 in 1 drivers? Sounds like SP2 overwrote your AGP driver and your IDE Controller driver, although most likely its the AGP driver. As for the BSOD you should disable the reboot Automatically option so you can see what driver is causing this. That also depends on what kind of Blue Screen error you are getting, sometimes it shows what driver is causing this. You dont happen to have a Gravis joystick hooked up to your Game Port by chance? I know I was getting BSOD with my Gravis Exterminator digital game pad hooked up.

Thanks for your reply, this is what I tried so far, I installed the Compatability toolkit v1.5 thing and I launched q2 and q3 through it and everything went great! So any more ideas? Oh, and I don't have any joysticks or anything.

Here is the BSOD message:

STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xA004E5C8, 0x00000000, 0x6C0A4548)

***Address A004E5C8 bast at A0000000, DataStamp 00000000 - Win32k.sys