Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
waddy

Speedup your Internet Connection & also increase securit

Top post , once again ..... thanks

I really miss 3Dfiles forum for all your posts , 3Dfiles is gone completly now frown

Hi APK, this is Nico from the late 3dfiles forum, nice to see you again !

I´m running winXP2600 and just installed Norton Personal Firewall for security (disabled the "below standard" built-in winXP firewall). The thing is I cant get the FTP to work with the firewall. I try to allow TCP/UDP transfers specific for the FTP program(BulletProof FTP) and I also add the specific port allowed, but still my friends cant login to the FTP when the firewall is enabled.

Do you have a clue what I could have missed here?

Thx

Does Norton Personal Firewall have any configureability?

Yes, I installed it just the other day so I haven´t checked everything out, but it seems like a very good firewall with all the neccassary configuration options.

Does it allow ports to pass thru which you can specify, what is called a rules table (not just ports to block traffic from, but ones to allow)??

Yes, I can allow block as well as pass thru specific ports.

The FTP Server you are running... does it integrate into the OS itself, like the one IIS has (is it IIS, & are you running the server model of XP)???

No, its not integrated into the OS. Its a stand alone application.(Im running winXP2600Pro) When they try to login to the FTP, it just says "connecting..." and it stays there. Disable the firewall and VOILA! Logs in right away and everyones account works the way it should.

Even if not... check the rights of that folder, by right clicking on it in Explorer.exe & seeing if anyone can access it! This is like chmod in Unix more or less... allowing remote users to logon is one thing, but to get to the folder & use them is a filesystem issue possibly also!

I made all the neccasary access rights for groups and users in the FTP program itself. ( It´s all working like it should (as long as the firewall is disabled smile )

ALSO: Is this a "mixed OS" environment? Some of those guys have Win9x/ME/98 boxes or NT ones signing onto you??

Mostly winME, but a few winXP2600Pro ones (shouldn´t matter in this case?)

Thanks

I allow incoming and outgoing packets thru the specific port for the BulletProofFTP program in the firewall configuration. (Makes no difference if I set it to "permit all" which seems strange to me because that should work?)

Clients mostly use CuteFTP with username/password/port/normal login.

(What is PASV mode?)

I will try to fix this during the weekend when I have time. I hope I get it up and running smile

Thanks

Ok, so do I copy and paste that stuff in notebook and rename it to a .reg and import that stuff? Then I ping www.microsoft.com with the settings it said to find the best selection for my MTU? Then where do I change the MTU, I'm not totally up on this stuff, lol, please help smile Thanks!

-TB

Lol .. I'm lost .. can you pleae contact me via ICQ 8340170 sometime? I have all this info saved in a txt document to refer to ... any help would be appreciated man, thanks!!

-TB

Hey man, thanks for the tips ... I thought I was doing things all wrong, lol, but all I was missing was the line "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" at the top so I could import into registry ... got the rest all done, thanks again, lol ... I'm not that new at computers, just haven't figured out all the registry stuff yet ...

That's cool man, I've tried ramdrives before, but not in XP yet ... I'll read up on it now that I've upped to 512 megs of ram ...