Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rickdas

Help with SBLive! Value and Win2000

Help.

I am quite the novice here and currently upgraded to win2000.

As a result, my sblive!value (wdm) card seems to be NOT working.

I have NO SOUND whatsoever.

I've tried up[censored] drivers and everything.

If anyone has any ideas, please reply.

Gaming without sound is horrible!

Thanks. frown

What's your specs?

I don't know what it is with Creative, but they seem to have some problem with producing drivers that fix peoples problems. A number of people have ditched their SBLive! cards for other non-Creative sound cards. To be fair, there are people who haven't had a problem at all with Live! cards. However, there seems to be an unhealthy number of people still having problems.

Well, like i said, I'm somewhat of a novice and inherited this computer. What information do you need to help?

I know that I'm also having trouble with my 3dfx voodoo card. My monitor is on plug and play even though it find the voodoo as the accelerator. I only have 32-bit color...

Thanks again.

3dfx died, and XP drivers aren't gonna show up, except through third parties--which would leave you with an "as is" policy.

CPU and your motherboard are pretty crucial here, or at least the chipset on the motherboard. You have several ways of doing this: in Device Manager, you can see under Motherboard Resources who made the chipset your motherboard uses. It may not say the exact chips used, but it will give you the manufacturer: Intel, Via, SiS, ALi, or AMD.

Get that and the CPU up and we can go from there.

2nd way: when you boot up your system, hit the pause key on your keyboard after a second or two--don't wait too long. You should see the chip manufacturer and the name of the chipset, which you'll want to copy down. You may see the name of the motherboard somewhere around the top of the screen; examples: Intel SE440BX-2, Abit VP6. I can't guarantee this 2nd way will work. Pre-built rigs usually come with the company's logo, and I think hitting the Escape key will get rid of it and you can get your info.

3rd way: If all else fails, you can open your case and look to see. It's best if your system is off and you keep hold of a metal part in the case. You'll notice two major chips on the motherboard, besides the CPU of course. There will be one close to the CPU, it may have a heatsink on top, and in that case just leave it alone. You'll find the 2nd major chip somewhere around the expansion slots. You should be able to tell who the manufacturer is and hopefully the letters and/or numbers on the chip--write those down.

Any way will work,

i'm runing win2k Pro, with a SB Live! Value card... i downloaded their drivers a while ago... and havn't updated since... and i get awesome sound through the digital port

if u need the drivers, i still have them, but i don't remember which order i installed them in. laugh

Kiz

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I'll have sound soon.

Brian, the motherboard is a VIA with a VIA KX13th chip set (?).

The cpu is an AMD Athlon.

I hope that this helps.

Kiz, if you have the drivers, I'll try that too!

-Rick