Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NOKIA

What is the command line for adding a second procc

In windows 2000 there's a command that you can enter to switch you to dually, when I installed I had a 500mhz cpu and i just aquired another one for my dually mobo, so whats the command?

thanks

NOKIA

I don't know of any command line to do this, but it not to say there isn't.

I do know of another way.

Go into device manager and change your system from uniprocessor to mulitprocessor.

MPS Uniprocessor-->MPS Multiprocessor; ACPI Uniprocessor-->ACPI Multiprocessor. Don't go from MPS to ACPI or vise versa.

You'll have to "update" yer driver to do this tho and reboot. All done!

The # of processors is detected at install.

If I read correctly, a different NTOSKRNL is loaded depending on the number.

I've always heard that you had to reinstall. I could be wrong, though.

wiht NT4 you had to reinstall, but with Win2k (and most likely WinXP as well) you can just do as Brian said...

With NT4 you had to use a utility from the Resource Kit called uptomp or if you had Compaq NT4 servers they included a handy (wow. Compaq had a handy something!) utility that could do it with one click of a mouse button.

APK, Use MPS 1.1 for 2K/XP. MPS 1.4 slows down USB for some odd reason in both OS's. I've noticed that MPS is more compatibile. ACPI always seems flaky on any machone i've ever put it on if you like to push ypur machine and use it for more than just desktop work and more than 1 or 2 PCI devices.