Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

Why is my USB mouse working?!?!

I had Win98 on my machine for 2 weeks (only to play a game). When I was done with the game, I delparted/formatted the hard disk & reinstalled NT4 Work Station on it. Been using it for 2 days & just noticed that I was still using my USB mouse (Logitech optical 2 button+wheel)! And this is with NO Service Packs what so ever!!!

I had totally forgotten that my mouse was plugged into the USB port until I opened my desk drawer to fish for a pen & low and behold my USB-to-PS/2 adapter was still in there. I even triple checked the mouse connector to the mobo, & yep it's in USB 1. I changed the BIOS setting "PnP OS" back n forth from yes to no, & my mouse still works! I have emailed Logitech to find out what's going on & to see if more of their mice are supported. No mouse software was installed (I obviously used it during setup).

How is this so? I was always led to believe NT did not support USB.

I think some BIOSes have an option that will fool/support a detected USB mouse into being a legacy mouse. I know for sure it works with keyboards.

Your USB mouse should also work in real mode Dos. The full PS/2 set of commands is transmitted to the mouse through Bios USB Legacy Mode.