Compatible Support Forums
IZeGuy

Always ask before opening this type of file - downloading

hi everybody

I have a little problem.....

you all know when you download files, you get the option to "open" or "save" the file..... right? smile

one time I was about to download a file the "Always ask before opening this type of file" check box was available and I could uncheck it. So I did that.... But now, when I want to download a "zip" file I don't get the option to "save" or "open"..... it automaticly starts to download and then pops up a window when its finished.

How do I get it back to normal again??

Could be nice to choose where I want to save my files, instead windows doing it for me.... no what I mean

Where in the registry do I change this?

Have you tried right clicking on the link? Should give you a list of options--Save As hopefully being one of them. Not sure about a registry setting tho..

I believe this is where it is...

Open My Computer

Tools / Folder Options

Goto the File Types tab

Double Click on zip

check the Confirm open after download.

This was different in 9x, NT, and 2000, but may work the same way.

This happened once to me and I deleted a couple of entries in the registry that fixed it - try here:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Media\MimeTypes

Delete entries dealing with files you are having trouble with. Restart IE and try your download again....

Hiya,

About this problem, I want to download a program on the internet, but i unclicked the box and can't get it back, i went to my computer and clicked folder options, file types, what is the correct file type for .exe (Not Winzip) as the file i am trying to download on the internet is a .exe and not a winzip file.

please reply back . thank you

need help pls

Originally posted by Shakedown:

Quote:
I believe this is where it is...

Open My Computer

Tools / Folder Options

Goto the File Types tab

Double Click on zip

check the Confirm open after download.

This was different in 9x, NT, and 2000, but may work the same way.

this does not work for windows xp. The box is already checked to confirm after download but i do not get the prompt to open/save. it just opens in IE. Thoughts?

Your filetype is trying to open in IE. Change that and you should see your prompt again.