Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
agh

Debian DVD jigdo problem

I need to install a Debian sid (unstable) at my home PC where i only have ISDN internet connection. So I'm thinking about downloading it to DVD at work where i have a faster internet connection. I don't want CD .isos as i really hate playing DJ with data-cds laugh As I already have an older sid snapshot on cd i'd like to use jigdo to create the DVD image (so i can re-use the packages which didn't change). But i don't get a complete image...i tried it several times with different .jigdo/.template files but there are always 50-100 packages 'missing' - in fact there are already newer versions of these packages available on the servers, but the old ones are gone so i can't complete my download...

If anyone has a solution except downloading the full .iso images please let me know.

Quote:
I need to install a Debian sid (unstable) at my home PC where i only have ISDN internet connection. So I'm thinking about downloading it to DVD at work where i have a faster internet connection. I don't want CD .isos as i really hate playing DJ with data-cds laugh As I already have an older sid snapshot on cd i'd like to use jigdo to create the DVD image (so i can re-use the packages which didn't change). But i don't get a complete image...i tried it several times with different .jigdo/.template files but there are always 50-100 packages 'missing' - in fact there are already newer versions of these packages available on the servers, but the old ones are gone so i can't complete my download...
If anyone has a solution except downloading the full .iso images please let me know.

If I were you, I'd download the single net install iso, and use it to install the remainder from the net. 8)

Agreed, There are new install downloads on the Debian site for network installs. During the install, they ask you which version of Debian you want to install, sarge or sid. One CD...

If you can do the Debian install, and get it up and running the first time through I will kneel before you and worship you as a Guru.

Quote:
If you can do the Debian install, and get it up and running the first time through I will kneel before you and worship you as a Guru.

Hey, Dapper! My first effort to install via the net install worked perfectly, but my probs with XP screwed it up, so I did it again, and it didn't work the next time, or the third try, so I went back to a Knoppix install, but I did get one, and only one that was up and running from a 'standard' install... 8)

Hehe... Two Debian installs of woody the first time. Upgraded to kernel 2.6.0 and KDE 3.2. laugh

Now for the bad. Mandrake 10 CE failed to grab my via NIC onboard.

Just tried a Debian Sarge install, same issue.

Must be a MAC address issue with the router/cable modem.

I just aquired a DVD and looked to download Debian Sarge. I saw a disclaimer on the Debian site about not being able to use jigdo in Windows to create the images.

Quote:
Note that you need Linux 2.4 or later to create DVD-sized files. Under Windows, DVD-sized images can't be created at all at the moment because the C++ library of the mingw gcc port doesn't have big file support yet.

I also just tried jigdo in Debian and it failed. Apparently it peeks at the sources.list file for apt and attempts to download needed packages from the list. Since I have woody, of course, this failed (I tried to do the sarge download).

I also tried it in Fedora and jigdo also complained that it could not download the source files. It also complained of a mismatch between the checksum of the jigdo and template files.