Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NuK

can't format my IDE raid on highpoint

I have an ABIT VP6 with the newest bios, and 2 40 gig drives on the built in hpt370 raid controller in a striped set. The xp setup allows me to go so far as to create the drive, but it formats to 100%, then freezes, then says that it cannot format the drive. HELP! I've hit f6 on startup and tried a plethora of drivers...

also although it goes without saying, win2k installs just fine with the drivers i'm using for xp...and it formats the drives no problem. Formatting in dos works just fine too, and a scandisk for bad sectors reports nothing wrong...

When you say the latest BIOS, do you mean the one off Abit's site or the unoffical YT BIOS. You may also try going back to your previous BIOS, if possible.

Also, last time I checked XP had drivers for the HPT370 with it.

I'm using the YT right now. It exhibited the same problems with the UR (which shipped with the board) I installed win2k and tried doing an upgrade install, but it reboots after a certain point of the install, waits a long time, then blue screens with "inaccessible boot device". Everything points to bad raid or bad drivers...the newest raid drivers are 103b, i've also tried with 1.2, same problem. I'd put it on a different drive, but my drives are in a striped set, no raid = no hard drives. Anytime from the dos level (you know, the setup with the plain blue background you get when booting off of the cdrom where you set up partitions etc.) that winxp is trying to access my drive, it fails. Is there anyway to upgrade or install purely from win2k? Any help appreciated.

the most frustrating thing is that it works perfectly in win2k...so it's not bad hardware...

ARG

I have the WK bios on my VP6 and XP installed fine. The only problem tho is that I wasn't using the RAID function. My understanding was that XP already has drivers for the HPT370 with it. I tried to feed it the HPT370 drivers I had on disk, but it wouldn't accept them.

Yeah, i put in a disk and it loads it...but it's using a different driver when I try to format...

i'm boggled. where's the WK bios?

actually i noticed the WK is over at abit-usa...

but it has the same raid drivers. So you just used the default drivers? No problemo? I think it's not a problem with using the controller so much as using raided drives, since even just the "standard" ata100 controllers that aren't the raid are still the hpt370 as far as I know.

I have a feeling it would work fine if it would just get past formatting the partition, but it doesn't...