Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chewy

Network XP to linux

Hi

I have two pc's connected via a cross-over cable and 2 NIC's, the client is a laptop running XP pro and the server is a tower with XP pro and Suse 7.3 linux dual boot. The problem is I can connect the two systems when the server is booted in XP pro but when booted in Linux I cannot seem to get any responce from either pc. I dont need to share a dialup connection, I just want to connect the two machines with one running linux and use VNC to control it from the client ??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The client's settings

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.88.137

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :169.254.130.239

The Server Setting's

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.130.239

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

thx

Do you have vnc-server and client installed on the XP system?

Are you using vnc to view the Linux system from tne XP box, or XP's network setup?

VNC is not the issue right now, I am running both machines off monitors, VNC is down the road when I can get XP and Linux to talk,

Ok...do you have samba installed on the SuSe system?

I don't have SuSe 7.3 on my system, so I can't give specifics. Maybe someone else can.

Getting it to work depends on how much knowledge that you have of linux and networking.

If you have limited experience with Linux, then it is not very easy.

To give an example, look at the following;

http://www.linuxorbit.com/howto/sambahowto.php3

If you are comfortable with all this, good.

The issue is that SuSe 7.3 is an older version of this distro and it may take a little work.

But, We can try an easy experiment first.

Just also realize that you may have trouble sharing files (if this is what you also want to do) with NTFS if this is what the XP filesystem is on your XP system.

You may elect to upgrade SuSe to a newer version, if your system will support it.

Let me look at my SuSe system and we can give the quick and dirty experiment a try, if someone else doesn't have a good answer for you.