Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Son Gokou

How to enable UDMA66 in Win 2000?? ..plz help

Hi, i want to know how do i enable UDMA66 under Win2K for my harddrives??....i had tried right-click on your My Computer icon -> click Properties -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers item -> select Primary and/or Secondary IDE Channel Properties -> click Advanced Settings tab -> under Transfer Mode for the "DMA if available" setting (but i dont have "Ultra DMA Mode" active under Current Transfer Mode, instead i have Not Applicable).

How do i get the Ultra DMA Mode in the "Current Transfer Mode"???....i'm using HPT 1.25 for my Abit BE6II and my harddrives r connected in Primary Master for the WD 18G, DVD-ROM in Secondary Slave and Secondary Master for the IBM 40G...i also had installed SP2 for Win2K...any help will be apperciate!!!!

Thanks

I have a Registry hack the forces DMA. you can try that but i have to tell you to use it at your own risk. I had a friend that had this same problem //diff. mobo.// and this fixed his. (but in other cases it has been known to do nothing)

email me if you want it or reply in this post.

Regards. Sparkhard

Here is the Registry hack.

Copy the following lines to a file named udma66on.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]

"EnableUDMA66"=dword:00000001

Double click the file to merge in Registry. Apply both to 0000 (and 0001, or 0002, or 0003...) or whatever the Registry lines holding the Controller driver and the Primary or Secondary Ide tied to the disk.

If the controller driver is elsewhere in Registry or registered as SCSI as happens even for some Ide controller, the Registry hack will have no effect.

Check the WD site for mini-programs activating Ata-66 and removing the write verifying on the hard disk then activate UDMA 4 in Bios, in Device Manager.

I have an ATA/100 drive on an ASUS CUSL2-C mobo and Windows 2k. How do I check what speed it's actually running at? Is it possible that my hard drive is not running at it's top speed because of a setting in Windows 2000?

Like I was saying, this tread started with buddy trying to enable DMA on a MB where his HDDs are connected to a HPT controller, therefore his IDE ports will say NOT APPLICABLE! This is true because there are NO hard drives on the internal MB IDE channels. They are connected to his HPT controller, which is listed under SCSI devices in Device manager. Nothing is wrong here. His HPT controller will automatically be detected his HD speeds, or you should be able to enter the BIOS of the controller upon bootup like a SCSI card and check what it is setting this to. BTW I've seen bench marks compairing DMA 66 to DMA 100, and the diff is virtually no existent. The only thing that is being transfered at 66/100 MB/s is what is stored in the cache on the HD itself. So if you are copying large files, the speed of the drive is the important thing, 7200 vs 5400, but then again that also varries with diff manufacturers...

All of the fixes you guys posted for the first guy, won't do anything for him... but then again, I could be wrong...

hehe