Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
COSMOS

McAfee virus scan version 5.21 and Win XP Pro RC-2

Hi ! I upgraded my computer from Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP RC-2(build 2526) . Before the upgrade, the McAfee virus scan version 5.21(engine version 4.1.40) used to run fine under Windows 2K.

But now, under Win XP the virus scan refuses to run .. When I click the virus scan icon on the desktop, a message, telling me that the version of virus scan I'm running is incompatible with that Windows version appears . I have tried using the compatibility mode but I haven't got any results and, besides, when I start my computer an error message telling me that WEBSCAN X caused an error and needs to close appears giving me the opportunity of telling Microsoft about that error via Internet .....Is there a way to fix this problem???

By the way, in Windows 2000 Pro, I could create accounts like power users, back up operators etc....but in Win XP, I ONLY can create ADMINISTRATOR accounts or restricted accounts . I create an Administrator account for my sister, who shares my computer but I tried to change it and it refused to change telling me that an Administrator account is necessary to run the computer, the problem is that I'm the owner of the main Administrative account when I installed Win 2K on my computer and it upgraded when I installed Win XP RC-2 over Win 2K .

Also, under Win 2K I used to clear the last documents I was working on by right clicking on the takskbar and selecting the advanced TAB

and clicking CLEAR....but now in Win XP, that feature doesn't exist .

Any suggestions???????

I'm very sorry for disturbing you with my silly questions about Win XP RC-2 and McAfee virus scan . I see nobody is going to answer my question here , so I posted it in the WinDrivers forum under another nick .Thanks for your attention and again please accept my apologies .

Carl

Quote:

Hi ! I upgraded my computer from Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP RC-2(build 2526) . Before the upgrade, the McAfee virus scan version 5.21(engine version 4.1.40) used to run fine under Windows 2K.
But now, under Win XP the virus scan refuses to run .. When I click the virus scan icon on the desktop, a message, telling me that the version of virus scan I'm running is incompatible with that Windows version appears . I have tried using the compatibility mode but I haven't got any results and, besides, when I start my computer an error message telling me that WEBSCAN X caused an error and needs to close appears giving me the opportunity of telling Microsoft about that error via Internet .....Is there a way to fix this problem???

I don't know

Quote:
By the way, in Windows 2000 Pro, I could create accounts like power users, back up operators etc....but in Win XP, I ONLY can create ADMINISTRATOR accounts or restricted accounts . I create an Administrator account for my sister, who shares my computer but I tried to change it and it refused to change telling me that an Administrator account is necessary to run the computer, the problem is that I'm the owner of the main Administrative account when I installed Win 2K on my computer and it upgraded when I installed Win XP RC-2 over Win 2K .
Also, under Win 2K I used to clear the last documents I was working on by right clicking on the takskbar and selecting the advanced TAB
and clicking CLEAR....but now in Win XP, that feature doesn't exist .

Any suggestions???????

Not a clue.

Hope this helps. ;(

Seriously though, you can't expect people to reply if they don't know the answers.

Now for some serious answers:

McAfee Virus Scan does some quite low-level stuff within in the operating system, therefore it's quite likely that the version you have will not work in XP at all. See if you can upgrade to a newer version. Other than that, there's not much else you can do.

I take it that you did an upgrade rather than a clean install of XP. It is strongly recommended by several people on this forum that you do a clean install of any new OS. Problems such as the ones you are having with your user accounts can often be resolved by doing this.

Please note that I'm only guessing here. I do not have a copy of WinXP at work to try this on, so it may or may not solve the problem.