Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Elin

Anyone Have the Problems playing Q2 RA2 under WinXP RTM?!?

I just installed Windows XP Home Edition and try to play Quake2 Rocket Arena 2 (RA2) like normal when I played before (like in WinXP RC1, RC2, Windows 2kSP2), etc...

The problem that I have is the mouse sensitivity issue in the game ..It's totally different from before..So I fine Tune it again but still doesn't work...What I mean "DOESN'T WORK" is when I try to turn my mouse, it has few secs delay and I can't make the right shot..This never happen in any of the OS before (Even in WinXP RC1 or RC2)....I really like this game and I really want to play it ..Anyone have any sugguestion why there's such a changes or something that i can do to restore back??

Anyone can answer my questions? or NO one know how to answer it???

I know the solution

you need to go to regedit

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse

there you need to delete or modify the

SmoothMou***Curve thingie

and it works just like winme or 98

can u tell me what u have changed, don´t know what to change.

its the same problem i have, every second CS makes a glitch.

halflife runs ok, but CS is unplayable and so emperor of dune.

iam not sure if it is the mouse the soundblaster or the RADEON.

900 AMD t-Bird

Soundblaster Live

Asus A7V

512 MB RAM

RADEON ViVo 64 MBRam

Quote:

I know the solution

you need to go to regedit
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse
there you need to delete or modify the

SmoothMou***Curve thingie

and it works just like winme or 98

Change it to WHAT??!?!?!? frown

Bloodman, i'm not exactly sure if what you're saying is exactly accurate, but looking at the way in which that sort of game reads mouse data, it would appear to me you are mistaken, i have tried this, and yes, it makes a difference, but i've also found that there is still an element of mouse acceleration built in, i think microsoft have made an aweful mistake to modify their mouse code from the windows 2000 base, as the accuracy was superb, for that reason, untill a permenant, and effective fix is found for this appauling problem , i'm sticking to windows 2000 sp2, however much i prefer XP's other benefits

Well what is so fricken wierd, is this:

I am using an older install of XP:2486 to be exact. Everything has been working excellent too, until just about a week ago. I havn't upgraded my OS or anything. CS was working just fine, then all of a sudden it lags like you guys are saying.

Is it something that was installed? I havn't really changed anything to my knowledge. I can't figure out why it would just start happening for no apparent reason.

Any ideas? frownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrown

iam running the newest driver for radeon the 3226, but the same with 3224 and 3210.

i have made an update on XP but the only thing that was updated was SBlive driver. nothing changed.

then i tryed to go from AGP x4 to x2 but then i had croppy textures in Counterstrike.

i changed mouse settings...nothing changed.

i changed the driver for the networkadapter... nothing.

i changed some BIOS options ... nothing.

i used the radeon tweaker to test some changes .... nothing changed, even if i install halflife, then counterstrike and do nothing (playing in software mode only pure things) the same problem.

don´t know what hardware is causing the problems, but all the other people ... the have diffrent hardware but have the same problem.

i think its an software problem. a friend of mine uses XP too, and has no problems at all.

I don´t know what to do, iam at the end...

I really hope someone know what to do or what that is....

Ok, well, I did the 'delete' thing in regedit, and it was exactly the same (I did not reboot yet), then I updated from 2486 to 2600, when I got back into the desktop after the install, I launched Counter Strike on Gspy and viola, it was just fine (Shrugging shoulders) Oh I must add... I completely forgot to say I installed Nvidia 12.41 drivers as well. So it could be a combo of any of these. I'm only posting because I know how much of a pain in the (_!_) it is trying to determine the prob.

Good luck! 8)

hello guys,

i just wanted to let u know that i'm out looking for results and fix for this terrible issue as well, i'm a quaker and my system specs are basicaly awesome so it has nothing to do with hardware.. Prvious builds ending at build 2520 worked just perfectly fine.. any builds after that i get the same problem, my quake studders like a b*tch and it's unbearable, I'm sick of it as it's worst than playing online with a 700 ping lag.. this studder has got be resolved. I"ve tried numerous things but still no go altho i've managed to get it working just a bit better but still shitty.. I've even thinking of cracking the no activation like they did with corpfiles on build 2520 as i know that build has been good.. When i first tried XP, i said omfg, this windows runs my quake so dam smooth and indeed it did.. i loved it so much i stuck with xp and all upcoming builds. but as it got to builds past 2520 which i didnt' try but only 2600 , my quake is the only thing that is scewed. other than that i dont' like the sharing features it has as win2k pro much better i think.. so if anyone has any suggestions or ideas or fixes concerning this issue pls post.. thanx and vise visa if i fix it somehow .. if i can't i'm goin to install the older build until they fix this issue.. funny how an older build works better than the new rtm final code.. heh.. anyhow one last suggestion i think is to install and older directx as it seems to be a mouse accel problem.. directinput is all messed up i guess so installing older directx somehow might fix that problem. but i know for sure it's mouse related problem, cuz when i take off smooth mouse in quake it gets worst. and when i tweakxp to the smoothest possible mouse options.. it gets better.. so if anyone knows how to remove the directx plz post as well thanx...

phop

#software @ irc.infatech.net

i had the same prob in HL using a logitech mouse.

Turned out all I had to do was to install 12.41 detonator (nvidia) driver and switch the dame thing to opengl.

Works perfect but directx 8.1 doesn't.

Dunno for Quake though, I thought that used opengl as default ?

Well I'll be dipped in sh1t. It appears the 'mouse lag' issue has returned.

I have no idea.

Pisses me off tho.

Has anyone else besides me noticed that when you go to the console on 1/2 life, you can't even hardly type? Or chat for that matter, is it strickly a mouse issue, or perhaps something to do with the keyboard? Anyone else notice this??? frownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrown

I still see there's no solution for this mouse lag issues...Delete the registry is kinda stupid since it doesn't work at all...

I just install back WinME and play it...but 98% of the time I will stick with WinXP smile

solution to the mouse accelerate problem:

Quote:

HL.exe -noforcemparms

put that after Hl.exe command line in Gamespy or what ever u use to exe program

possible solution to graphic problems:

1. download new drivers

the nvidia drivers that come with xp is a JOKE!

i couldn't play in open-gl at all using them!

i currently use 14.70 beta drivers and haven't got any problems with them.

14.70 beta drivers

12.41 official drivers

more drivers can be found here.

2. use open-gl

open-gl is the only usable gfx platform (or something like that) in hl!

phop:

"other than that i dont' like the sharing features it has as win2k pro much better i think.. so if anyone has any suggestions or ideas or fixes concerning this issue pls post.."

tools -> folder options -> view and disable Use simple file sharing

One drawback however is that so you cant have others access your computer except if they use same login/pass as you or you must add them as a user on your computer. It should have worked if one enabled guest access but ach no that didnt work. really wierd many things seems broken in XP!

Back to topic, my GTXP broke in builds later than 2505 so it seems something happened there. I guess something had to change, and now hardware vendors must rewrite their drivers to adjust to the changes.

But I dont know... Make sure you report all bugs/quirks to microsoft and your hardware vendor. We must sort this out before XP is in the retail chains, or what? smile

Quote:

installed 2520 build of xp and working fine again.. thank god.

Why installed the BETA back? LOL

No Point for doing that for just playing games...I am not a serious gamers so there's no big deal for me not playing the games....

I registered on this forum specifically to reply to this topic, as this is the most feedback I've seen on this topic so far.

First, my situation: my HD failed recently and I had to reinstall a win9x/win2k dual boot on my 60gb secondary drive. Hardware: Asus TUSL2-C mobo, Pentium III 1 GHz, 3x128mb RAM, GeForce 3, SBlive! Platinum 5.1, HP CD-RW, Maxtor 60, 30 and 20 gb hard drives.

Prior to my week long installfest everything was working great, but much to my surprise some of my games now exhibit extreme graphics corruption in win2k... no biggie I think, I'll just reboot win winME and install again. But no, my mouse action is so laggy I can't play Deadly Dozen... or ground control... or even simple DirectX demos (hmm, that's odd)! So I reinstall win98 on the winME partition, and the mouse is still fubar. (Microsoft Wheelmouse Optical USB). Then I dig through my pile o computer junk and finally locate a USB->PS/2 adapter. The mouse action is still laggy now in win98, but MUCH improved (like the mouse doesn't quite synch to fast movements, but the overall speed is improved).

I haven't seen a solution to this issue yet, although MS Knowledge base notes that setting mouse speed over 5 out of 10 in winXP causes 'erratic mouse movement'. Their solution: set the mouse speed to 4 or lower. However even with a mouse speed of 1 and acceleration disabled I still get tremendous mouse lag.

Some things that did NOT help:

1. Installing the latest MS intellimouse software.

2. Using MS USB Optical, MS USB Optical w/ PS/2 adapter, Belkin Optical, or no-name $10 PS/2. It's a software problem.

What DOES work:

1. Using Windows 2000. Whatever the problem is, it doesn't occur in win2k, even on the exact same hardware (dual-boot) in the exact same programs.

2. Not using DirectX (or at least Direct3D). Serious Sam runs fine in OpenGL mode under win98, but all my D3D games have mouse lag.

Analysis: looks like a Windows 9x DirectX/Direct3D problem. I don't want to downgrade from DirectX 8.1 and recent Nvidia drivers, or I might as well take out my shiny new GeForce 3 and go back to the GeForce 2! If anyone else out there has a suggestion I'd love to hear it.

Update: I recently downgraded from the Nvidia Detonator 4 21.83 drivers to the Detonator 3 15.70 ones, and the performance is nearly back to an acceptable (for FPS games)level. Now if the MS Intellimouse 4.01 software does a better job with the mouse parameters in the registry than I did manually, I'll be all set.