Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tweaked

winxprc2+new geforce3+opengl games=lock up

I just installed a new asus v8200 deluxe geforce 3 on my rig the other day.

every thing ran perfect with my v7700 deluxe.

BUT.... now with my geforce 3 it crashes when i leave any opengl program, specifically quake games; 1,2, and 3 (haven't tried unreal in opengl yet)

i wanna blame my sblive wink because it was such a headache in the past, my sblive works PERFECT now, so it has to be causing some kinda problem now right? wink jk

i've tried a bunch of different drivers, mainly 12.* and 14.*, i've heard the 8.* are good but i thought they were not too directx8 friendly... or was that not geforce3 friendly? something like that...

anyway... anyone got a bright idea besides wait for the 20.* drivers?

i thought i heard a while back of people having problems with geforces of some flavor crashing when they leave opengl stuff...

Got the Via4-in-1's installed? Make sure you don't have the IDE Busmaster driver installed. I have the VP6 and a screensaver in OpenGL would lock up quickly. I have no clue why, but try that. No lockups since then.

BTW, this was in Win2k, but XP is about the same.

I'm not sure about the 8.0x drivers. Eddie314 was big on those, but he's taken leave from the forums indefinitely, unfortunately.

If you're curious, try 'em. You've got driver rollback.

What is your AGP drive strength? Set it to EA or DA(default) in BIOS.

Try setting your CPU's back to 700MHz, pull all but the GF3 out and go from there. Add cards back in and test.

Do this stuff if you haven't done it already.

tried all that.

conservative bios settings... the works...

gonna try opengl screensavers in the morning.

see if they lock up too.

no via busmaster drivers installed.

maybe its a bad card?

is it possible that the card is defective?

(ge force 2)Win2K and XP 2600 --- i have the same problem..... i would fire up a game like half-life or counter- strike ..... i can play fine for about 5 minutes , then it crashes , and goes back to desktop.....

ive tried all detonators etc ..... flashed my cards bios .... and it still happens ....

theres nothing i havent tried ......

i really dont know why this happens .... im at my wits end

ive been reading a few forums and a few people also have this problem , but ive never seen a fix.....

agp 2x works fine!

agp4x causes the crashes!

and it runs faster by 10% on 2x !

wtf?

i never had via agp 4x issues before.

my old gforce sdr(it did use 4x right?), ddr, and geforce 2 gts all worked fine at 4x with via boards...

i guess the geforce 3 and winxp are still a little too new for maximum tweakage.

Same prob with asus GF3....I used the nvidia ref drivers 4xagp...No probs..

Asus drivers Suk...

It seems that as I read more about the problems people are having with Xp,there are lots of them by the way,and the extreme measures that some are taking eg: flashing vga's bios to make the video card run properly,the more evident it is becoming that the problems are in the programing of the os,software,drivers and not the hardware.

ASUS V8200 is one of the best cards money can buy and to go and change agp4x(which is the default bios setting on most of the latest motherboards)back to 2x to try and get V8200 to preforme better is ludicrous.

You guys have to be more patient and let the hardware manafactures bring out improved drivers for XP and Microsoft to bring out the first service pack which there will no doubt be,because this is where the problems lie.

By the way if the reference drivers you initially installed for V8200 where off the ASUS install cd and were v12.10 then these drivers were buggy.I installed these drivers and they corrupted the os.I had to reinstall the os after using the 12.10's.Others complained of the same problem with these drivers.

I too am in the boat of openGL+geforce= problem

When I exit openGL games my system hard locks!

I have

Elsa gladiac geforce 2 (tried lots of different drivers)

Asus P2B-DS

winXP 2600

I think microsoft changed something in XP and now hardware developers need to update their drivers. this prooves its very important with good driver support!