Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stevlo

Suse pro 9.0 errors connecting to the net

I have Suse pro 9.0 installed with winxp,and it its running 100%.But i have run into a problem.Let me explain...I have configured my hardware,and network,and network devices.I have a internet connection that is active when i look at the connection icon.But when i try to surf the web,and try to input wesites to visit i get an error loading page message..I have tried a few sites,but the same message appears.,but the net icon is displayed as active.Can some please explain the proper way step by step on how to fix this?This is my first time using a linux system so please bare with me.Thanks for all the help . laugh

What type connection are you using? Are you running from a cat5 cable directly from the modem into your computer? Sometimes DSL ISPs, and especially Cable providers are set up to exclude other computers from using the same connection unless run through a router. They do this by having the modem look for a specific address on a specific box. When you boot to Linux, your modem may be interpreting it as a different computer and won't allow the connection. Most modems have a reset button somewhere on them. Try that and see if it will reset itself to recognize your Linux OS.

Im using dsl internet with a speedstream dsl modem thats hooked-up to a 3com etherlink card.There is no switches in the back of the modem,or anywere in fact.I tried once again last night to surf the net,but same error appears when i input the website.Somewhere along the lines something is not configured properly,but i have never done this before so im not 100% sure on what to look for. frownfrown Yast has detected my nic card,and modem,and i have inputed all my isp info also.Thanks again for all the help! laugh