Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
scorpio9502

Fedora installation problems

hi i'm new to linux, i just download fedora iso image. i succesfully intall it on one of my computers, but on one of my other computers have to use text installation since it keeps hanging the screen turns grey with a target. after an aparent succesful installation my computer keeps hangin at something that saids somethig about swap file

asus a7n8x deluxe

amd 2600+

ati 9800 pro ;(

hi, thanks Dapper Dan, for answering. It seems that the problem is related to my video card an ATI 9800 PRO. I spend the entire day seaching the web for a solution. wink until i found it. Have to boot linux in text mode and login as root, then edit XF86, in my video card driver section change from radeon driver to vesa. After that reboot the system and bingo it runs fine. At last i install the driver from ati and problem solve. Thanks for your interst in helping me. I hope this can help other people with the same problem as me. :P

Thanks for posting how you solved the problem. So many don't respond once they resolve an issue which denies the rest of the Linux community valuable information that would only take a few minutes to post. smile

Hi

I know this is an 'old post but I have the same problem as u did. The problem with me is I dont know how to start the text mode ( I tried to press 'a' during reboot by grub, then i dunno where to change the '3 nogb' command , and I also dont know how to edit the XF86 ). I fing through the google for hours and still I cant find any well guide or procedure how to achieve that. Can u help me by give me details on how u edit the X86F or for starter to start my linux with text mode.Dont get me wrong , I just asking for any voluntary helps. If there is any websites or guide that you think useful for me to read, then I will do so. I love to learn but I just lost somehow.I used to use Yoper before ( with same machine and its fine - just that I want to try FC3) and Mandrake 8.X with my retired laptop. Thanks .

Situation :

I installed FC3 by using text mode since I cant install with graphical methods (Grey Background with square white box in the middle-representing mouse i guess). And luckily Isntallation fine ( completed and reboot ) . The problem now is after it booted , when the system start in X windows(graphics rite?) then the same greay background with blurred line and white box appeared again. And I dunno where to click or go from there. I tried to use 'a' during grub starting but dunno how to edit the parameters for '3 nogb' . And I also no nothing about editting XF86 .

My Hardware:

Pentium 4

ATI Radeon 9200

768 Mb Ram

1 Gb Swap for Linux

Dual Boot Linux - XP ( Succeed with Yoper so far - Vesa driver I guess )

Hi,

I just got my new SONY VAIO PCV W2. I am a newbie to linux, I downloaded the iso images and had it in CDs. When I start to install the Fedora core, initially it came up with the screen showing up the FEDORA image and options. Then as per the instructions, I gave a ENTER. Then I saw some information about my system and then all of a sudden , the complete screen turns grey, green and bright pixel spots were seen. I couldn't see any info on the screen.

I couldnt proceed further. Even I tried with DVD image also..

But Nothing Works.

Note: Suse 8.0 and Redhat 7.2 installation start up were perfect with my system. I have only Windows xp installed as of now.

Only FEDORA shows up this problem.

System info:

SONY VAIO PCV W2

17.5 inch

160GB

SIS 651 Integrated Graphics video card

512 MB ram

Anyone !! Please help me to solve this.

Best Regards..

Arul

dizarludba, I thought I'd responded to your post, sorry. It must have been yet another time I previewed without posting. I'm afraid I'm completely in the dark about the problem you all are having as, (a) I use Nvidia and y'all don't. (B) I've never tried installing Core three (yet) so am unfamiliar with it altogether. Here's a good page on the problem though...

As far a editing XF86/XOrg file, I believe with Core three you'll have to edit the Xorg file. It's located in /etc/X11. Presuming everyone at least has a prompt, you can edit the file with command line editors such as nano, pico, VI and Emacs. Since I prefer VI, I'll tell you how to edit with it.

At the prompt where is asks for username, type in,

root [enter]

(when you see [enter], of course that means press enter.)

It will then ask for password. type in your root password and press enter.

Now we have to open the file in VI. Type in:

vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf [enter]

You should now have the xorg.conf file open. Arrow down and look for a section that is similar to...

Code:
Section "Device"    #Identifier  "VESA Framebuffer"    Identifier   "GeForce FX"    Driver       "add"vesa"here"    #VideoRam    4096    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriateEndSectionEndSection

Arrow down and across to the Driver section. Press the insert key and change the Driver section to "vesa" so it looks like this:

Code:
Section "Device"    #Identifier  "VESA Framebuffer"    Identifier   "GeForce FX"    Driver       "vesa"    #VideoRam    4096    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriateEndSection

After you are certain this section is edited properly, you must exit VI. Do this by pressing the "Esc" key and releasing it, then holding down the shift key while pressing the colon key to make a : , release shift and press the "X' key, making a small x right next to the colon, then press enter which will write the file. So it's press Esc followed by : then x next to it then press enter.

For more on VI commands see here...

I hope this helps some.

Hi

Thanx Dapper. And its okay for the late reply wink . I will try to follow the link after my Jan exam smile Cheers

And for jamma , I also tried Suse and mandrake ( both are not the latest version ) and the radeon seems work in those distros . But as I read many forum , Radeon can work in any distro ( for 2D there seems lots of ppl manage to get them , only problem with 3D ), just a matter that u know how or not ( for me I dont even know how to start it without the greay and white boxish ). In our case probably we need to learn more ( many people also have problems with ATI due to their lack of support ). And if still you want to Install the FC3 1st , then u can use the text mode for the installation . The only problem is to start the x without the graphical problem .

As for now I know hot to start with text mode , innit 3 , and i start to learn to install fglrx driver using command . It just that during the process there is some glitch that I need to learn and make a research in the google . The problem with me is most of the solution or driver provided are always dependant on kernel , so I also have to learn how to recompile kernel and update them ( to 2.6.x i guess ).

If I make a progress or have any answer I will try to post the link or make a how to my self .

Cheers

Sorry Jamma , i mistakenly thought that you are using ATI , and just realised that u have SIS graphic adapter . And I dont really sure about the Linux driver for SIS but I wish you can find on how to settle your problem . Sorry again .

The simplist solution to almost every video card problem in Linux is to just obtain an Nvidia card. ATI makes great cards. It's a shame they don't give the Linux community the same level of support that Nvidia does.

If there is an Nvidia card made within the last couple of years that doesn't work with Linux, I don't know what it is.

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compat.php?cat=All&sort=All&idx=n

Thanks dizarludba ...for ur reply.

hmmm.. I have not found any solution yet for my problem..

So..you mean to say, the problem is with the graphics card.

any thanks for ur reply..