Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tippon

Linux and the Unreal series

Hi guys smile I'm trying out Linux for the first time, using Knoppix and/ or Sun Java Desktop (both run from CD), and I was wondering can I install any of the Unreal series without actually installing Linux, and if so, how do I do it?

I have no idea at all about Linux, especially command lines, and I'm using these versions because they're similar to Windows (I know, I know...) and they seem to be a good starting point without having to rearrange my partitions (not much space left). Also, I'm on dial up, so downloading anything major (over a few megs) is a no go for now.

I have separate CDRW and DVD drives if that helps (Linux CD may need to be in one drive?). Can I just install these games straight from the CD, or do I need any extra files?

If I eventually decide to install Linux, I've got Corel Linux on CD and this months (March 2004) Linux Format DVD if that helps...

Sorry this is quite a long one, and thanks in advance for any help laugh

Quote:
Hi guys smile I'm trying out Linux for the first time, using Knoppix and/ or Sun Java Desktop (both run from CD), and I was wondering can I install any of the Unreal series without actually installing Linux, and if so, how do I do it?

Unreal is included on the Morphix-Gamers cd, which runs just like Knoppix. I've not tried it but you may want to check it out here...

Quote:
they're similar to Windows (I know, I know...)

start where you needed i started on my laptop with near windows looks but once you start you cant stop linux is awesome i tried morphix regular and its really good

Quote:
Unreal is included on the Morphix-Gamers cd, which runs just like Knoppix. I've not tried it but you may want to check it out here...

The engine is availible through the debian repository, It's also suposed to run Heretic, which I like much better than Doom... I think I still have the origional disks laugh.

Is there an easy way of running my current (windows) versions without having to do any downloading?

Some people have mentioned wine and winex, do these come as part of the OS, or do they have to be downloaded?

Thanks for the help smile

Quote:
Is there an easy way of running my current (windows) versions without having to do any downloading?

Some people have mentioned wine and winex, do these come as part of the OS, or do they have to be downloaded?

Thanks for the help smile

You will far better off running it from the Linux port than going through Winex3 on this game. Winex3 should only be used on Windows games that there is no Linux port for. I read somewhere that you can import your profiles and saved games from an existing Windows version of Unreal to your new Linux version. It shouldn't be to difficult to do.