Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
axp

Best Linux Distro?

Whats the best Linux distro for a pentium 100 with 1gig hard drive whitch uses X windows? Doesnt have to be that pretty or anything. Just has to fit on a 1gig drive and run reasonable.

it would help if we knew what you would like to do with your system.. such as c++ programing, web server kinda junk, gaming system, etc

I recommend Mandrake without Gnome or KDE. Try it with IceWM, a a smaller and faster DE with far less bloat. Mdk seems to be more reasonable about how little it allows you to install than some of the other disros. I just did a bare minimum install of Mdk 10 on my old pentium 2, 6 gig, 64 mb box as a work station and so far, everything seems to be running perfectly.

I think i may be using it as a firewall (when i learn how to do that) But at the moment, i just was to play around with Linux on a machine that isnt very important to me.

If you're wanting to just play around with it right now, I would check out the live cd distros. That is, a complete Linux operating system that runs from the cd. Your old machine may not have enough ram to run them though. If you have a newer machine with a reasonable amount of ram, try them out.

http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=cd