Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
axp

Help with Linux please!

Hi,

I have installed Mandrake 9.1 onto my computer! I really like it! But there are a few problems I cant seem to fix...

Tux Racing or any other games that require a graphics card runs really slow. I think i need to update my graphics card drivers? I have a NVIDIA Geforce 2 Ti. I downloaded this from the NVIDIA website recently: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.mun

When i try to run this from my home directory as normal user, it says i need to log in as root to do this operation. But when i log in as root and try to run it from the normal user's home directory, it says file not found???? whats going on?????

Also, more importantly, how do i get my internet working in Mandrake 9.1? It (the installation) said my modem was not supported (i have a Lucent Winmodem) and referred me to www.linmodems.org. Any idea what i should be looking for or wether i will be able to get my modem working? Im not sure if i installed KPPP or not. I dont see anything like "connect to ISP" or anything on Mandrake though. I really need internet on my machine, and without it I cannot make Linux my default operating system.

Please help

BTW, i now have my dual boot operating perfectly, i used Mandrake CD to chop my C: drive into to and installed Linux on the second part. The first partition was preserved!! I was sooo happy!! :-)

Now i have:

C: Windows XP

Linux

D: Windows XP (again)

Thanks a lot! :-)

I don't know about whether or not you modem will work but you can access kppp by simply typing it in a terminal:

As root:

kppp [enter]

You must then configure it.

Check out this link for how to install NVIDIA drivers. I think you will have to change permissions on it too. "cd" to the directory where it is, then as root do:

chmod 777 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.mun [enter]

OK. But I really need to find out whether my modem is supported in Mandrake or not... :-) It worked in Lycoris LX, so I'm supprised Mandrake did not pick it up.

This show you the variable results with different distros and their development of winmodem drivers.

According to the Mandrake hardware database, the Lucent chipset is not supported directly, but there is a driver.

First verify what kernel you are running.

It should be 2.4.21-0.13.mdk, if you made no changes to it.

If so, you can try the cooresponding drivers at the following;

http://www.heby.de/ltmodem

Scroll down to the Mandrake binary section and choose a mirror, Canada or Germany.

do you have Lucent v.92 dual chipset hardware modem?. dont get confused with word hardware, thats what they write on its packing, infact in working its a pci winmodem.

I presume you are using windows while browsing the internet. please check in the modem section, in control panel and do let me know does it writes LT win modem there. it should be connected to COM3.

any ways if you have that one, i have got drivers for it in source format. I installed it on my red hat 9 and it works great. if you need drivers for it, you can pm me and tell me your email address, i`ll mail them to you.

Yes i do have the 2.4.21-0.13.mdk kernel. It is unchanged. I got this by using the modem info program found on the net somewhere:

Manufacturer ID: 11c1

Device ID: 452

It is a LT Lucent Winmodem Mar3

With support for DSP

What do you reckon? I downloaded. This:

ltmodem-kv_2.4.21_0.13mdk-8.26a9-1.i586.rpm from http://www.heby.de/ltmodem

and ran it, but it doesnt seem to do anything?? I cannot see the modem in the Mandrake Control Center >> Hardware section.

another question: Is it common problem to have the mouse not moving as smoothly as it would in Windows? When i move my mouse really slowly in Mandrake, the mouse doesnt move at all on screen...

Also, in the above post i mean: It is a LT Lucent Winmodem Mars 3

that is the rpm file, i have got drivers in source format, the more cool thing. i hope they`ll help you get it work

YAY!! I finally got the internet wotking on Mandrake!! This is my first time posting from Linux! :-)

Im very happy about this. It ended up that what i had to do was install KPPP from the Mandrake CD by using the Mandrake software installation program. I previously installed that driver i talked about: ltmodem-kv_2.4.21_0.13mdk-8.26a9-1.i586.rpm

Im not sure if instally that rpm was required...but i all worked fine after I installed KPPP from CD and wrote in KPPP [Enter] in console (as a normal user). Then i just had to setup the number dial etc. :-)

One other thing, is there an MSN messenger alternative in Linux?

It's a great feeling isn't it, figuring out how to make it all work in Linux? Congratulations! smile