Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SoulNothing

Kernel Panic?

I tryed up[censored] fedora, redhat 9.0, and redhat 8.0 to 2.6 but whenever i did it, after the grub it came to kernel panic

i followed the steps

Quote:
1. download kernel source .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 format from www.kernel.org

for example there will be file like linux-2.4.22.tar.gz

2. copy it to /usr/src by following command:

cp filename.tar.gz /usr/src

3. cd to the /usr/src directory

cd /usr/src

4. issue the following command to uncompress the file

tar -xzf linux-2.4.22.tar.gz

it will extract kernel sources to /usr/src directory

right now directory for 2.4.22 will be

/usr/src/linux-2.4.22

5. create a symbolic link /usr/src/linux to point to /usr/src/linux-2.4.22

using the ln -s command:

cd /usr/src

ln -s linux-2.4.22 /usr/src/linux

6. cd to /usr/src/linux

cd /usr/src/linux

7. now issue following command

make xconfig

this will start a gui based configuration tool...where u will select the kernel options.Make sure you set fat, vfat and ntfs support and other required options.

Also it is recommended, that when the configuration is complete, you save the settings to a file on the hdd using the save to file option, so that the next time you recompile, you can directly load the configuration from the saved file and proceed to the next step

8. issue following command

make dep

9. issue following command

make clean

10. issue following command

make modules

11. issue following command

make modules_install

12. issue following command

make bzImage

now when make bzImage is done. open your grub.conf and make a backup copy of it, just to be careful forexample i did this cp /etc/grub.conf /etc/grub.backup.

13 . issue following command

make install

after make install is complete. open /etc/grub.conf and check if the entry of old kernel is still there or not. if its not there, open the backup of grub.conf that we created and copy and paste the entry of old kernel into grub.conf. if the old kernel entry is already there, thats great.

now reboot your system and enjoy new kernel.

Note: There is a way to compile kernel through rpms, but doing it source way lets u experience some cool speed plus totally your own kernel configurations, so i prefer this

which was in another thread maybe i shouldnt be trying this method beiang a noob any advice

look around your grub.conf, may be you have to remove some enteries. I am not on Linux platform right now, or else i could post here my own grub.conf.

alright, if you please open your grub.conf with your favourite editor :P , you`ll see some enteries in it.

under the title of your newly compiled kernel there will be some entry like

for example

title Red Hat Linux 9 New Kernel (2.4.22)

root (hd0,7)

kernel /vmlinuz ro root=LABEL=/

if it is like that, remove the entries of ro root = LABEL=/, so that it will become something like

title Red Hat Linux 9 New Kernel (2.4.22)

root (hd0,7)

kernel /vmlinuz

when the same kernel panic error came to me, i tried the above given trick and it worked for me. hopefully it`ll resolve your problem.

Good luck!

Yes, these are the directions for compiling a 2.4.xx kernel, NOT the 2.6.xx series. There are differences.

You need to assure that you have updated packages, such as modutils and module-init-utils, which is different from compiling the older kernels.

See the following links;

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799

http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html

http://linux-sxs.org/upgrading/migration26.html

thanks alot try that tommorow i dont know why but anything other than fedora doesnt want to stay on my system so im sticking with fedora and btw links didnt work danleff ;(

No offense but, I guess there is no need for modutils and module-init-utils, if he just wants to compile it. however, modutil and module-init-utils are required for making kernel work :P .

I compiled my 2.6.1 kernel, just with usual source way (the one i have mentioned) without modutils and module-init-utils. it worked and it still boots up, but this is another story i have difficulties with some devices working even if after installing modutils and module-init-utils.

overall, I had a tough time with 2.6.x series.

outstream i dont care how i get it on i just want it on

realize i have no net access with linux just the basics so i really dont care how it gets on any documentation on the difference thanks in advance

this means i cant get files while in linux id have to reboot and get back on xp

yeah thats what i am talking about, you can make it boot and work fine. give it a try, did u remove those lines from your grub.conf?

Alright the first step to this incident is.... making your symbolic link after uncompressing the kernel-2.x.x-tar.gz in your /usr/src... now make sure you don't have /usr/src/linux, if so delete it, and relink your symbolic link.. then go in either using 'make menuconfig' or 'genkernel --menuconfig all", so you can go in and do your own kernel configuration. After doing so, if you chose to use 'make menuconfig' you'll have to copy down some things: cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.x.x

cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.x.x

cp .config /boot/config-2.x.x

If you chose 'genkernel --menuconfig all' you must then wait foro that to complete, and then proceed to make the changes to grub.

After doing these steps you are able to change your /boot/grub/grub.conf file. I prefer leaving everything as it is, and adding to it, so I can revert if needed. This is how mine looks:

default 0

timeout 10

splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title= Gentoo Linux

root (hd1,0)

kernel /kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/hdb3 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 vga=0x317 splash=verbose

initrd /initrd-2.4.26-gentoo-r9

#title=Gentoo linux 2.6.8 Kernel

#root (hd1,0)

#kernel /kernel-2.6.8-gentoo root=/dev/hdb3

title=Windows

root (hd0,1)

chainloader +1