Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Netslayer2k1

Driver crashes at startup under XP

I have tried the patch to 2.0 and that enables it to find the 3d card, however the game.exe still starts then crashes, 'game.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.' tried running compatibility mode but nothin...???

What game are you trying to run?

What are your specs?

I have no freakin' clue what you're havin' trouble with, and there fore, I nor anyone else can help you.

This is my little pet peeve, and it's 2 AM.

Still (I did think of that later on...)

Specs please, especially the graphics card...

It was late at nite, and I've see several posts wanting help lately, but then they don't list pertenent info (BSOD messages, specs, etc.)

And it's my pet peeve on-line... ;(

sorry for not providing earlier,

Video: 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI runnin WinXP drivers (2k,98 ones dont work), AMD Tbird 1ghz, 256mg pc133 sdram, Via kt133 chipset, sis board. Ive tried patching DRIVER but it only makes the 3dconfig program recognize theres a 3d card but the program wont start, tried apconfig.

I'm not sure how relevant this is but you should know that the drivers off 3dfx site (what's left of it) are the last ones. XP will most likely never see 3dfx card's drivers, and since the drivers are designed for Win2k, they may not work fully under XP. Those XP drivers may cause problems, as the writer's of them may not have all the kinks worked out. I know this sucks, as my V3 3000 AGP was marvelous under XP, Beta 2 anyways, and it is fairly old by today's standards.

You mention an SiS and Via KT133 board's: have you installed XP on both of them?

I really hate to say go buy a new video card to possibly make it run, because I can't say the V3 is the problem. It may just be that you can't run it no matter what.

I haven't checked it in depth, but you may want to check the Games database here and see if anyone has gotten it to work.

When you've tried compatibility mode, which OS's did you try? If you havent' gone through all of them, that's something to try...