Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greggy

Windows Update and IE5.5SP2

Since 'upgrading' to Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2, it seems I can no longer use Micro$oft's Windows Update service - http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

When I go to the Windows Update web site and click on any of the 'Product Updates' links, I instantly get the following message:

A runtime error has occurred. Do you wish to debug?

Line: 206 Error: Exception occurred.

I cannot find any help in the M$ KB (no suprises there), and my mates tell me that Windows Update still works for them perfectly - but none of them installed IE5.5 SP2.

I'm not totally sure its the fault of IE5.5 SP2, but does anyone know how I can fix this annoying issue?

I've tried everything except formatting the whole machine - which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Greggy

Athlon 1.4GHz, Abit KT7A, 512Mb PC133 SDRAM, 32Mb Leadtek GeForce2 GTS with 12.90 WHQL drivers, Windows 2000 SP2, IE5.5SP2, VIA 4in1 drivers ver 4.32 etc

Works fine on IE5.5 SP2 here on my work machine. That is Win98 though. I'll check on my machine when I get home.

Thanks for the reply Xiven.

I rebooted, re-installed SP2 and IE5.5 SP2. I again went through the steps in the M$ KB article regarding troubleshooting Windows Update problems - now I no longer get the error I described in my earlier post.

However I have still been unable to perform a Windows Update - perhaps its an M$ problem? I'll try again in a few days and see if anything has 'improved'.

Greggy

Well your problem is solved now but it drew my attention because it seems like a activeX bug on the microsoft upgrade program.From the error message you say you got, it also sounds that you have Visual C or C++ installed on your system telling you to debug, otherwise the error would be the classic window saying "...illegal operation blah blah blah error log is created blah blah".

If anyone has the same problem try and find out if there is a sort of incompatibility or bug that IE 5.5 SP2 has with a certain version on C or C++.

Or maybe i am completely wrong in everything and it's all crap what i am talking about!!

anyways take care.