Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
silentnight

New to linux please help :?

I have just bought Linux redhat fedora 10.0 from e bay and i was wondering if i can still use my messengers,and if i can search the web like on windows?Like i said please dont bash me,i have never used linux b4 now and i need all the info i can get on it,stuff like min sys reqirments and stuff like that,also i heard that this version is plug and play???is that true and if not how hard is it for me to set up the drivers for every thing,i have a dell optiplex gx1 pc that i turned into a server\pc that i will be trying the linux on.Thanks Tommy Dodd CSRA Choppers www.csrachoppers.tk

being a noob as well you cannot use the same exact win messengers staright off the bat guessing but there are plenty of good secure linux messengers and network managers

Thanks,so im not going to be able to use my beloved msn,aim,and yahoo any more ehh? well that just sux looks like i need to dig my test rig out and put win xp on it so i can still have my messengers,Any more info on the stuff i asked would be great! 8)

Install gaim. It handles Yahoo (though this is a bit dicey atm. I have it working but only through some custom patches applied by the Gentoo emerge process), MSN (with the appropriate Mozilla libraries installed), ICQ, AIM, IRC, Napster(!) and even more obscure protocols such as Jabber, Zephyr and Gadu-Gadu. It's generally provided with many distro so have a hunt through the package manager. It's easily the best multi-protocol IM software I've come across.

Is fedora redhat 10.0 a good os for me?i plan on running sambar server software for my server part,I want to use linux because i heard it took up less resorces on my pc?is that true? ;(

Quote:
Is fedora redhat 10.0 a good os for me?

Whew... That's a loaded question ;-)! If you're just starting out with Linux then maybe not. Try one of the bootable distros to check hardware compatibility and get a feel for Linux.

Quote:
i plan on running sambar server software for my server part,I want to use linux because i heard it took up less resorces on my pc?is that true? ;(

'Generally' Linux is regarded as a more efficent server platform'.

i have a small team of it guys that are going to set it up for me so no worries there,but is it true that linux will give me better profomance than win? ;(

My it man said that Linux Fedora was a pimp os and i needed to try it..Well i got the disk here and im ready to pimp linux one time 8) thanks for the help guys and\or girls.

You can use all those messengers in Linux. I have used ICQ and AIM in Linux with no problems.