Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pythagoras

Why doesnt outlook.exe go away?

So whenever I exit Outlook it sometimes isnt killed, and sits in the task manager soaking up a nice fat 10 megs of ram until I kill it. This screws up other things in my system like my modem ussually wont dial and outlook simply wont load. (presumably because outlook.exe is there).

Why does outlook hang around? How do I stop this?

This probably isn't your problem, but it's a shot....

Do you have a PDA? ActiveSync [for my HP Jornada] keeps OUTLOOK.EXE running so it can keep my e-mail synced with my handheld. I haven't found a way to make it not keep Outlook running. It does keep my e-mail up-to-date by checking every thirty minutes though.

Like I said, probably not your issue.

-bZj

I dont have a PDA, but I assume it stays in memory to get mail even when Outlook, the application/window, isnt... Ill have to play with settings...

Myslef and my m8 get this outlook problem. It used to be very irritating, as you would try to install something, and nothing would happen, you would click again etc, and still nothing. You then open up task manager, and see 6 setup.exe's sitting there along with outlook.exe. KIll off the outlook.exe and they all start loading up at once!

MY solution; and what I practise is to always check task manager after checking email.

Its a bind I know, but it works smirk