Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fatattack

Nvidia Gf2mx/400

Well I installed RC2 today and I was extremely dissapointed to see that the problem concerning Geforce2 MX/400 cards hasn't been resolved yet.

Problem: on the start of the install the screen goes black , system freezes and that's it.

This problem is not new. I already noticed it on previous builds as well.

I know that I am not the only one who is experiencing this problem. On this board alone there are several posts that all describe this.

It is very shamefull that M$ didn't bother to at remove such a huge bug out of their software. I mean come on, a bug that keeps you from initialising the setup of a program. How much worse do they come ???

Concidering this is the last public release before the final version I really have my doubt about this OS. Sure it runs like a charm once installed but just try to get it installed without a spare Videocard lying around !!!

I've seen dozens of posts about this problem ( not exaggerated )

and what did they do with it... NOTHING.

Makes you wonder why they even bother asking beta testers huh ?

Since I'm just a preview program user, I ask you guys who actually can contact someone at M$ to look into this.

For all you having the same black screen when starting the install: pop out that mx/400 and put something else in it during the install. It'll work. Once the install is finished , just pop it back in and everythings fine again.

heh, it's not a bug in windows, because it happens in all OS, I've even had it happen in Mandrake 7.1, while booting up, i have a GeForce 2 MX 400, no problems, it has to do with your video card and how it is settled in the AGP slot, shut down computer, pull out the card completely, firmly put it back in, then reset your bios defaults, then go back in and make sure Int Display First is set to AGP, and try it then.

Now, this may or may not work for you, it worked for my friend when I did it to his system, may as well give it a try.

Hi!

I agree,it has to do with your GF2.

I have installed RC2 1 week ago.I own GF2 MX400 ,but there were no problems at all during the installation process - the same in all previous builds too.

The MS drivers are weak but after installing nVidia Detonators everything rocks.

D.

this is strange because I installed WIndows98 SE and windows 2000 and never had any problems or lockups during setup.

But every time I installed XP everything goes dead.

are u refering to the sketch pause at the begining of the insatall? screen goes black and seems frozen. cause i get that also but if i just wait a minute it installs fine.

yes it is at the same moment as you mean but it doesn't unfreewe anymore (unless waiting more then 3 hours is an option, haven't tried any longer...yet :-)))

I know that it sometimes just takes a few seconds, but in mine and others case it just stays black.

Beats me why. Every other os doesn't complain about it in the slightest.

ok just making sure that wasn't it

i have had this b4 with windows 2000 not installing when a matrox card was in the box. put in a crap ati and it worked fine

that's exactly what I am doing now :-)

I've got this ancient isa 256 colors videocard lying around and just pop that in there :-)))

I had the XP MX400 screen goes black , system freezes and that's it issue.

Re-installed XP and SP2. A few hours later it worked.

A week later died again.

Pulled card out of AGP slot and put back in again and now seems to work again.

Card seating problem perhaps.

It's a black art to me!