Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
IgorD

RC2 and no QuickTime plugin

Is that suppose to be code complete RC2 release? IE still NOT displaying plugins properly - no QuickTime functionality no Q3PLUg. Seems to be ignoring anything which is in PLUGIN folder.

Good job, MS....

not MS's fault. Dont rag on them. Its Apple's Fault for not making Quicktime work with IE 6. Flash 5 works fine with IE 6, so do most plug-ins. Its not up to the browser maker to make things work with their browser, its up to the browser maker to make a new browser then the companies to update their products to work.

I've remember that in XP build 2495 QT was perfectly working.

Well, unfortunately you can not blame Apple (QuickTime) for this problem, guys. BRIO Technologies is a Microsoft Business Partner and their plug-ins do the exact same thing, which is nothing. I have noticed that the similiar bond between BRIO's plug-in and QuickTime is that they both use JavaScript to launch the plug-in.

I had one of my developers create and Active-X plug-in to test the problem to see if it was just Active-X plug-ins (since ever Java plug-in has worked for my team). What we found was that if we called the Active-X directly it ran fine, if we launched it through JavaScript, we had the exact same problem the QuickTime and BRIO have... Unfortunately I do not have a solution, but maybe this will spark something for someone.

QuickTime uses the Netscape-compatible plug-in interface (accessed by EMBED) which was supported by previous versions of IE. I suspect it's the same problem with BRIO, while Flash and so on are ActiveX plugins.

It's unknown at this point if NS plugins will be supported in the final release or not.