Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kapsis21

how to mount a folder

hi

i dont know how to mount a folder from windows to linux so that my linux OS sees the folder

i also cannot get connected to the net cos my internal Modem BCM V.92 doesnt support Linux 9 or the drivers havent come out yet

does anyone have the drivers that i dont know of

do reply

thanks

First, what distro (linux OS) do you have?

Is this a gateway or Dell system? Desktop or laptop?

What version of Windows? Fat32 or NTFS filesystem on the windows partition?

In terms of the modem, see the following;

http://www.modemsite.com/56K/bcm.asp

Quote:
Broadcom analog modems are software-driven controllerless solution.

What this means is that you have a softmodem, or winmodem that is designed to run in Windows.

Apparently Dell has released RehHat drivers, but the posts that I have seen show little success in getting them to work.

http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/download/index.asp?fileid=R47114

See the posts;

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/99655

its a dell desktop 4600

i have 2 partitions C:(drive) is on Fat 32 and D(drive) is on NTFS

and then i have the other for ext2/ext3 for linux

the version of the driver that i found for BCM was for Linux 7.2

i know it wont work but i still want to give it a shot

thanks

i went on the braodcom website but it dint have the info for linux 9

also the dell website has the version for linux 7.2 7.3 which i already saw before so i just want to try mounting a folder so that i dont need to switch back and forth for trying to intall something new

thanks a lot for your help though

OK, what distro (distribution) do you have. Linux does not tell me much, is it RedHat, Mandrake, SUSE...

Whether they work, may will depend on if the drivers are written for your particular distribution. This will also tell me if the vfat drive may be auto mounted by your distro.

The driver that you downloaded, is it an RPM file or does it have a gz or bz2 extension on it?

You will most likely not be able to write to and from the NTFS partition, as this is not fully supported in any Linux distribution yet. I suggest downloading your files to the home directory that your distribution is on, or the vfat partition.

If you download to the linux home directory, then you will have immediate access to the files.

Or is it that you can't connect to the web via the linux distro?

@kapsys, just try to type "df" in a Linux shell window.

Maybe your Windows filesystems are already mounted !

On my Mandrake Linux systems, the installation directly creates the mountpoints and the FAT32 filesystems are mounted automatically at system boot.

On my system, the Windows filesystems are named /mnt/Windows1, /mnt/windows2, etc...

hello again

i am sorry i dint tell u i have RED HAT linux 9

i cannot download anything cos i dont have the right driver for Broadcom internal modem V.92 and the dell website has the drivers only till Linux version 7.3

so i have to go back and forth if i need some information from the Windows back to Linux

thats why i wanted to mount a folder

the file that i downloaded is gz file broadcom driver but for version 7.3

i will try using the df command and see

thanks for ur help

i will wait for your responses

kapsis

keep cool, main !

I was just taking my own case as an example, but I am pretty sure most of distros work the same way.

So, I am sure that, also on your own linux system, the Windows partitions are already mounted!

So, simply open a Linux shell window, and type the word df, and you will see the Linux mounted filesystems, and one of them is probably your Windows filesystem!

Si, simply type df on your terminal, and tell us what you see.

Regards

Zorba