Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

Nero 5.5 Issues

Everytime I try to burn a CD-R using Nero 5.5 under Win2000 I get buffer underrun errors. I don't get it all. I have no other apps running and nothing serious is loaded in the system tray. To get CDs to burn well I have to use Win98 with 98 I can even do some light multitasking while burning but with Win2k even with no multitasking the CD-R get underrun errors. The buffer level in 98 stays at a constant 97 % but in 2k it justs jumps from 95 to 31 back up to 67 and then eventually hits 0 and then I get a new shiny coaster.

Have you tried any of the version 5 series? Give them ago and see if it makes any difference. It probably won't but give it a go anyhows. Nero is the only burning app that works for me under 2k, so I'm quite perplexed to hear that it doesn't work for you. Make sure you check how much mem is being allocated while burning (under preferences)

Good luck

Try to create an ISO image first. it is always helpful if loads of small files or slow HDD is involved.

Are you using the old scan engine of the mcaffee AV?

If so, upgrade it or disable it totally while burning.

I am currently using Nero 5.5.0.4 with the latest version of InCD and have no problems.

Well, I say no problems, but if I rip my old live mix tapes to mp3, and then convert to cd, I get an error, and have to reboot to get the cdr out. It plays ok afterwards, except that at the end of the mix, it stops but then keeps looping the last 2 seconds or so (very perplexing).

I have burned mp3's I have dl'ed to cd with no problems at all.

I guess it must be summat to do with soundforge, and the the bitrate I encoded with.

I wonder if Variable Bit rate has anything to do with it?

Does anyone know what the highest bitrate Nero will burn to cdr? Or does it not matter.

I am currently using the VIA 4-In-1 v4.32 drivers but I elected to install the Vendor support driver. Now I heard that these are no good and have decided to uninstall them and revert back to the Standard MS drivers, and just leave the IRQ and AGP drivers installed. How do I check to see if they are really gone? I am gonna do a few new test burns with Nero 5.5 today.

My hard disk is speedy enough it is a Maxtor 7200 RPM drive capable of ATA 100 but my Mobo only gets up to ATA 66, it also has a 2MB buffer.

Lately I noticed that multitasking with large CD copying is real choppy with Win2k and I have 512 megs of RAM. When I tried to copy a 400 MB file off a CD to the hard disk it was painfully slow to browse the web at the same time. I think this was due to the VIA drivers again. But I not sure. My CD drive is OLD though [12x Panasonic] so it may not be best suited for fast/large transfers, but my CD drive is on a separate channel from the hard disk.

Can anyone help me with these ideas?

Here is my Sys Info:

Windows 2000 Professional with SP2, on FAT32, on drive D partition

Windows 98 v4.10.1998 [non SE version] on FAT32, on drive C partition

Maxtor 20GB 7200 RPM hard disk using ATA 66, primary channel

AMD Athlon SLOT-A 750 MHZ, on Asus K7V with BIOS 1007, and 512 MB PC133 memory

Panasonic 12x CD, and Mitsumi CDRW, on secondary channel

VIA 4-in-1 v4.32

GeForce2 MX / 32mb with 12.41 Official Dets. Direct X 8

Sound Blaster Live Player 1024 with Liveware 3

the best way to burn any CD is to do the following:

turn off any program running in the background (esp. virus scanners)

make a disk image of the CD b4 u burn

try burning at a lower speed (2X or 4X should be safe)

during the burn don't use the computer

The problem may have been due to the VIA drivers, I have since defaulted to MS's default IDE drivers and the burns are coming along nicely.