Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dazultra2000

ctfmon.exe/mdm.exe - spawn of satan. How do I remove the evi

I am currently hating ctfmon.exe and mdm.exe. They always load, and hinder performance/productivity, as well as causing problems on my system. I have tried everything (that I can think of) to get rid of it.

1) Delete them - when I do this, everythime I load IE, it asks me to reinstall office XP

2) Rename them - they come back!

3) Remove the part of oXP that is supposedly responsible for them -it comes back!

4) Disable on startup - IT STILL LOADS.

I swear it's a microsoft designed virus. How on earth do u get rid of them?!?!?!?!?!?

thanks

You say you disabled it from start-up, but how ? Did you tried to delete an entry in the RUN key with regedit ?

Hope it helps !

That's what I did smile

also removed anything to do with office from my startup folder and the registry. ITS STILL THERE!

Do not remove them. they are system files and services.

If you stop messing with them your windows will live longer. Unless you have some sort of reinitialization wish.

Of and they only take 5MB of memory in total so???? what resources?

ok...

firstly, they are not essential to windows, and are not system files, as when I load IE after removing them....OFFICE asks for the back. And when i deny it, it still works.

And...I don't know if you have heard, but if ctfmon.exe is loaded, and you try to use any form of DVD hardware accelerator card....it simply wont work....ever.

Sometimes it causes programs to crash, and when they do, they wont go until I close ctfmon down. I want rid of these files....and if it shortens win2k's life, I don't care. they must be disposed of...with haste.

I will not have evil in my system.....well, extra evil anyway.

LOL....

I have DVD accelerator, it works just fine smile

It is up to you for the rest. since we all become disciples of Evil Microsoft the moment we buy windows etc.

Use a program that's called AD-AWARE. you can get rid of most Spywares and torjans. It helped me alot. got to www.downloads.com and search for. i think they have version 5.5 now. check it out it's free. if that didn't help, I whould use FIX IT 2000 WIN CUSTOMIZER. there are some programs that will run on start up that are NEVER shown in the start up folder in start menu. you can never trust that deleting something from startup folder can disable a file from being loaded at startup.

i hope this helps!

Himm Ali,

For your information those files are not trojans etc. They are windows files!

OOPS... sorry.

so you mean you can't use end proccess in task manager on them?

if they are loaded in startup i thought you may want to use a utility software like ONTRACK FIX-IT 2000 to remove it from your autorun list at start up. but if they are kind of system files that you can't remove them then it may not work. well i searched my computer for these files. i found mdm.exe under winnt/system32/ but i have never seen it running in my task manager. i could never find ctfmon.exe on my system. you are perhaps running some applications that require to run thoese files. i can't make any other suggestions. i'm not good in "NT TECHNOLOGY"!! wink

I have said time and time again. They are NOT system files. and those microsoft links confirm this. One allows you to debug things that have gone wrong in office/IE (NOT useful to me) - mdm.exe

the other allows office to detect text in IE and other programs and allows things to link to office (also not useful to me)

The microsoft site even says they can be disabled (but NOT the ways I tried..and it says that too!)

So, I'll try that.

I was wondering if you tried those links yet. Let us know how it goes.

Yep, and I ahave corrected my mistake. I said windows files (kind of)

MS says do not mess with them smile

Oh no another Linux!!!

While you are at it why don't you install Unix? it is the real deal.

MDM means Machine Debug Manager.

Rename MDM.exe that should be located under WINNT\System32

Del any entry related to MDM or Machine Debug Manager

Disactivate Script Debuging in Internet Options.

All this might help you to get rid of MDM.exe (source:TechNet Link paper from MS).

at school in our computer class, we installed Linux on one of the "Board of Education" machines that has WIN NT 4. on it. it was a P2 400MHz, with 128 MB ram (Dell Clone). it actually worked wery good with both OS installed on it. didn't have any problems at all.i wonder if that works on Win 2000. if it does i want to try that. i want to get rid of windows somehow!;)

And this is relevant to this thread in which manner Ali???

Come to your question yes it will work, post a msg in tweaks section. somebody will explain it to you.

im sorry for replying a good four years later but these problems are still relevant.. stupid windows crap

Originally posted by Dazultra2000:

Quote:
I am currently hating ctfmon.exe and mdm.exe. They always load, and hinder performance/productivity, as well as causing problems on my system. I have tried everything (that I can think of) to get rid of it.

1) Delete them - when I do this, everythime I load IE, it asks me to reinstall office XP

2) Rename them - they come back!

3) Remove the part of oXP that is supposedly responsible for them -it comes back!

4) Disable on startup - IT STILL LOADS.

I swear it's a microsoft designed virus. How on earth do u get rid of them?!?!?!?!?!?

thanks

ya these totally piss me off cause they slow down my internet... i looked up how to disable ctfmon.exe and ya i went to the windows site.. it does work, but sometimes it comes back once when you boot - just close it once and it will go.. as with the mdm.exe, this is really bad cause it doesn't wanna go away and i have to keep closing it like every 5mins.. ok below is the way to stop ctfmon.exe ..

Uninstalling that crappy ctfmon.exe from xp

Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows XP:

1. Quit all Office programs.

2. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. NOTE: In Windows XP, click Start and then click Control Panel.

3. In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.NOTE: In Windows XP, click Add or Remove Programs.

4. In the Currently installed programs list, click to select Microsoft Office XP product, where Office XP product is the name of the specific Office product being used. If you are using a standalone version of one of the Office programs, click to select the appropriate product in the list. Click Change.

5. In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, select Add or Remove Features, and then click Next. This displays the Choose installation options for all Office applications and tools dialog box.

6. Click the plus sign (+) next to Office Shared Features to expand it.

7. Click the icon next to Alternative User Input, and then select Not Available.

8. Click Update.

i hope this helps anyway... oh yeah with mdm.exe, i did disable the script bugging in IE but its STILL there .. stupid piece of mshit shit

Quote:

oh yeah with mdm.exe, i did disable the script bugging in IE but its STILL there

Stop and set Disabled "Machine Debugger Machine"-service in Services (services.msc).